Transmission Question

kaos1027

Jun 26, 2012
Bethlehem PA
Got a 96 mustang 3.8l v6 trans started slipping the whole underside of the tranny is cracked so I picked one up out of a 99 same as mine never installed a tranny before guys got any advice or know any good write ups on it like. The one I got. Has. Been. Sitting in a buddy's garage and where the torque converter is its a little dusty any suggestion on what to do prep or anything thanks. In advanced guys

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 using tapatalk

• Sponsors (?)

Ok so what would I need to do get a new speedo or what and the idk if the transmission before was replaced my mile counter doesn't work and on the bottom of the tranny pan it says. 1999 v6 3.8?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 using tapatalk

You obviously don't understand the difference between an VSS and OSS sensor. Check out the following link. It's for a T45, but the concept is the same.

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/4-6l-tech/140694-t-45-tail-shaft-swap.html

An extended range speedcal can convert OSS to VSS.

Some 4R70W's have a plug installed where the VSS sensor should be. If so, then it may be possible to move the VSS senor from the old transmission.

Or why not get a transmission from a 96-98 V6 4R70W model year and stay "plug and play"?