Transmission Whine

Transmission still has an issue. Finally got my transmission fluid level right after reassembling everything post rear main seal replacement. But I still have a prominent whining noise coming from the transmission. Louder is reverse but there in all gears. Didn't have an issue before I pulled it to do the main seal.

I appreciate all the help that members on this page provide.

• Sponsors (?)

A couple things to consider. After doing a google search on whining C4 transmissions, what fluid are you using? I've found a post that claims there is a whining issue when a synthetic is used. Post number 10 here:

There's actually some other good suggestions there as well.

In some of your other threads (I'd consider starting one build thread to keep everything together and easier to find/follow...) you mention that you're in the middle of a complete mechanical rebuild. Has your transmission been completely disassembled and now reassembled? How is the front pump? If the pump housing is still good but there are signs of wear on the gears, you can get a rebuild kit for <$100, that may fix the issue since a lot of times whining is a symptom of problematic pumps.

OR...... you can just swap to a manual transmission and eliminate the problem altogether!! :jester:

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, I pulled it last weekend and verified that last weekend.
Transmission still has an issue. Finally got my transmission fluid level right after reassembling everything post rear main seal replacement. But I still have a prominent whining noise coming from the transmission. Louder is reverse but there in all gears. Didn't have an issue before I pulled it to do the main seal.

I appreciate all the help that members on this page provide.
I pulled it and took it to a local transmission shop for tear down. I’ll update here with prognosis so others that may have V8 a similar issue can see what I found.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 users