Trunk Lock, how to install?

Mavrick

Founding Member
Aug 29, 2002
Collingwood, ON
I have the trunk lock in my hand, and i need to install it. Does anyone have a "how to" article or anything that would help me get this thing installed proporly?

The previous owner was supposed to do it, but hasn't had time and keeps delaying it, so i figure ill try myself. He told me it was missing a spring or something, so im not sure what i have. Here is a pic...

normal_what%20i%20got.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

looks like you're missing a piece already. well i'd take the trunk off to do this, only because it makes it easier than doing it upside down. drill the old rivet out of the trunk which is located somewhere inbetween the license plate lights. then take off the lock that clamps to the hook inside your trunk. there should be 3 pieces inside: one of them being the lock part which u have, a plate that's like a clip, and then the piece that you drilled the rivet out of which is another clip. so i guess you're technically not missing a piece because you can re-use the prong part. just remember how you took it apart and then put it back together the same way. just make sure the long shaft of the of the lock where the key goes in actually goes into the slot in the lock that holds down the trunk cuz if you dont you're gonna have to crawl through your hatch and turn the slot with a flathead to get the trunk open again. harder to do on a convertible, not like it happened to me or anything :bang::owned: it's pretty straight forward, i hope i helped you out

Ok, so your telling me im missing 1 piece? I know that already, i need to know what piece im missing, maybe a ford part number so i can go buy it?

I need to know how to INSTALL the lock, not how to remove it.. it's already been removed for painting from the previous owner, and the pieces are in my hands.. i need to know how to isntall them.

Thanks

There will be some finagling needed, but, generally, from inside the trunk or hatch, you push the spring spacer out, which releases the cylinder, which then can be removed from outside. The long flat piece fits in the slot in the actual latch mechanism.

Insert the new cylinder into the hole, line the acutator up with the slot in the latch and then push the spring metal retainer onto the slots on the outside of the cylinder.