Trying to decide....

reddy351

10 Year Member
Jun 13, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Ok, here's the deal. My "soon to leave it's stock-ness behind" 94 GT's future is undecided, as of today. I know that I can do the H/C/I thing (plus supporting mods) for about 2000-2500. That's Edelbrock Performer induction(alum heads) and whetever cam is good for that. The other direction is to simply supercharge it. I really liked what the guys here have said about the KB set-up. For about $1000 more, I get the same or better hp/tq gain, better driveability and, of course the "shock" involved with lifting the hood and seeing that beauty sitting there. I don't really want to do the centrifugal S/C route. I will if I have to. That would be about the same $$$ as HCI.

Supporting mods like a chip (or twEECer), headers, h-pipe, fuel pump, gears and stuff like that will need to happen either way.

My ultimate goal is "solid" 300rwhp (and hopefully, mid-low 13 second ET's). What should I do? The problem with the KB is coming up with the $$$ all at once. Ouch! I can buy the parts for the HCI a little at a time. Another thing is not having to go into the engine with the SC. I really don't want to take it apart. Decisions, decisions.

Are my goals realistic with the Eddy heads and intake? Are the $$$ numbers right for the estimating I've done? How is the driveability of the Eddy stuff. I need to drive the car, a lot. I can't have overheating and other issues, at all.

I've heard good things about Thumper's head work. Would my goal be possible with those (E7) heads?

What say you, Stangnet? :hail2:

• Sponsors (?)

reddy351 said:
Ok, here's the deal. My "soon to leave it's stock-ness behind" 94 GT's future is undecided, as of today. I know that I can do the H/C/I thing (plus supporting mods) for about 2000-2500. That's Edelbrock Performer induction(alum heads) and whetever cam is good for that. The other direction is to simply supercharge it. I really liked what the guys here have said about the KB set-up. For about $1000 more, I get the same or better hp/tq gain, better driveability and, of course the "shock" involved with lifting the hood and seeing that beauty sitting there. I don't really want to do the centrifugal S/C route. I will if I have to. That would be about the same $$$ as HCI.

Supporting mods like a chip (or twEECer), headers, h-pipe, fuel pump, gears and stuff like that will need to happen either way.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1994...020QQitemZ300012220657QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

It comes with the MAF and injectors.....

My ultimate goal is 300rwhp (and hopefully, mid-low 13 second ET's). What should I do? The problem with the KB is coming up with the $$$ all at once. Ouch! I can buy the parts for the HCI a little at a time. Another thing is not having to go into the engine with the SC. I really don't want to take it apart. Decisions, decisions.

Are my goals realistic with the Eddy heads and intake? Are the $$$ numbers right for the estimating I've done? How is the driveability of the Eddy stuff. I need to drive the car, a lot. I can't have overheating and other issues, at all.

I've heard good things about Thumper's head work. Would my goal be possible with those (E7) heads?

What say you, Stangnet? :hail2:
hey Rob....I looked on Ebay last night and there is a Kenne bell set up for a stock intake.....buy it now was 2500.00 if I'm not going crazy...

You don't say if you be a stick or auto kinda guy :shrug:
so
If you aode it ... just flush what I say in this post

Never had a forced combo but countless stick trans na combos :D
Here is some stuff to think about ... if you go that route ;)

Easy answer first about 373's or 410's ... its nothing more than math
use this to find your answer :)
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/Detailed/608.shtml

Now ... That kinda power may force you to do the following upgrades:

clutch - the stocker is pretty wimpy
cooling - more power means more heat
hb - rpm kills em quick

however ... that kind of combo should shoot you down the 1320 in 12.00 to 12.75 secs ... driving skills/sixty foot :shrug:

You talk about 2 or 2.5 Grand ... you are gonna have to dig WAY deeper to put together a na combo with all new aftermarket stuff and what it takes to support it.

VERY ballpark money eye opener for you to think about

heads $1000-$1500 depends on head/rr choice
intake, cam, lt's, & mid pipe alone will put you at or beyond budget

You still need
fuel pump
inj's
maf
tb
and other stuff that QUICKLY adds up to even more $$$ :bang:

As you stated ... you can do it a little at a time :banana:

That makes it ... not as bad ... as it first seems :D

Kinda like that old joke about how to eat an Elephant? ..........
One bite at a time :rlaugh:

and about tuning it :)

Tweecer method ... complete setup ... cha ching ... 1 Grand :(

More user friendly like SCT ... dig deeper still :rlaugh:

Not trying to burst your bubble :nono:

Just prevent ........ hot rod parts sitcker shock :D

Grady

It IS an AODE. I DID mention that the parts that I was talking about were not part of the budget that I was thinking of. Like I said. 300hp is going to need the "ancillary" stuff like a fuel pump, good headers and h-pipe and such. That's the intangible stuff. Heads are $1100, or so, supposedly ready to bolt on. (I've done some aftermarket heads that were "ready to bolt-on" but still needed about $300 of lovin from the machine shop that I use. Thanks World Products/Dart!) $500 for the Performer upper and lower. $100 for the cute little elnow that is required to use the manifold on the SN95 5.0. (Thanks Ford!) A few hundred for headgaskets, head bolts and "stuff". NOBODY but me works on my car, so I save some Bennies, there. I think that parts can be purchased for $2000-$2500.

I DID think that the twEECer was like, $400-$500. I guess it was a surprise that it's about $1000.

I have built several potent Fords. (A 1979 Mercury Monarch that went low 13's with a 351w w/ported stock heads, a "Streetmaster" intake and a nice little "RV" cam. Remember that intake and the "RV" cams, old guys?!) It was pretty slim pickens to build a hot Ford until the 5.0 Mustang wound up the aftermarket. Thanks Mustang!!!!! Really!!!!)

I've got the base KB, and I love it. As far as supporting mods, well, don't have them yet....I have a 255 fuel pump, but it's in the garage. Haven't had time to put it in. With mine, I don't get crazy with it, KB says their base kit is a bolt on, so that's how I've been using it. Come December I'll be home for a while, with a stack of extra cash, then I'm planning on the heads and cam, and other goodies, to include a tweecer.
It's fun on the street, and thats where I drive my car everyday. I say go for the KB, but I'm biased...no #'s for you, but it is fun to drive.

Good Luck

No matter what you decide to put the money down on you are going to have fun driving it. Grady hit many very important points, you don't want to skimp out on supporting hardware or you are just going to make more headaches for yourself. In all honesty you get what you pay for (and a little research helps too).

Yep. Consider this part of the research. You are right about "no matter what, the car will be fun to drive". It's a blast as it is. Still faster than most cars on the road, even stock. I may just put the Thumper heads and cam on it with a Cobra or Performer intake. That'd wake it up, for sure. Prolly still get some nice 13 second timeslips. Thanks for the help, guys. This thread has gotten me closer to a decision.:hail2: