Turbo Coupe 5 Lug Rear Brake Setup.

Matt01

Jul 23, 2016
Hey Guys

I am having a hell of a time finding information that works. I have an 8.8 turbo coupe diff, which I have swapped to 5 bolt using ranger/aerostar axles. I have read every forum on the internet about this subject and there are 3 options available. I have a set of SN95 Brackets + Turbo Coupe brackets which I have cut to mount behind the flange as Ive seen people do.

1. SN 95 rear swap
I don't want to do this, I already have the Turbo Coupe calipers, and I really want to use them. Otherwise I would have to go to the Junkyard to buy everything I need.

2. Lincoln Mark VII 1991-1992 Rear discs.
These were supposed to be a "bolt on" conversion for a 5 bolt swapped turbo coupe diff. The Hub/thickness is perfect, and it's 5 bolt. People say they are 10" diameter which would be ideal, but according to Rockauto + my own ruler they are actually 10.5" The turbo coupe rotors are 10.15" making the rotors too big, you cant properly bolt the caliper to the brackets.

3. 90 Mazda MPV front rotors
I really got screwed with this one. The MPV rotors are the perfect diameter, thickness, and bolt pattern, I dont care about the offset since Ill be shimming the bracket as necessary anyway. So I went ahead and ordered a set of Brembos and had them shipped from the states. The problem with these is they don't actually fit over the mustang axle hub.

Here is a picture, you'll see the ranger hub and the mazda mpv rotor are the same size. It doesnt physically fit over it.
IMG_6321.jpg

Here is the problem with the 91 Lincoln rotors (yes I have 1 of those too) vs the MPV rotors.
IMG_6322.jpg

Whats up with that, I read everywhere that this is supposed to work.

• Sponsors (?)

Whatever choice you make, you will need a machine shop to assist.

Plan A: The simplest thing is to have the Lincoln rotors turned to reduce the OD (Outside Diameter).

OR

Plan B: if there is enough metal around the studs, have the axle flanges turned down until the Mazda rotor fits over the axle flange.

Personally, I would choose plan B since it is a one time fix and you don't have to do it again next time you replace the rear disks

Last edited:
im not too familiar with the MPV rotor setup but I believe it was intended to be used with SN95 axles and a 1/8" spacer sandwiches between them.

Using them with ranger axles will require a 7/8" spacer, which I am not sure exists, plus may not be safe as I would worry about shearing lugs with the brake rotor generating braking force away from the hub face.

I think I would take option #2 in this case and find a machine shop to turn the rotors down to 10.1 or so....or see if you can find some 91-92 mark 7 axle brackets. I believe the setup uses the same caliper as the TC.

What are you doing up front?

Here's the DIMs of an SN95 axle to check of the MPV rotor would fit on it.

6" or so flange
IMG_3682.JPG

2.75" hub
IMG_3683.JPG

the sn-95 has exactly the same size flange as the ranger, (my dad has an 02 mustang and I checked that already) Its just about 6". The inner of the Mazda rotor is just about 5.5x". I would need to machine the flange about 1/2", which makes me a little weary.

I would love to find a bracket off a mark vii, but i feel as if its like finding a needle in a haystack. Up front I have a full SN-95 spindle and brakes.

Yeah I would go and get the SN95 set up and be done. As I think Mike pointed out before this is a much newer technology setup from Ford plus a lighter set up. I did it with notching the SN95 brackets and mounted them on the inside, also left the antimoan brackets off. I kept the stock axle width but had the flanges made bigger to fit the SN95 rotor hat when I called Mosser up. No shims!

I would love to find a bracket off a mark vii, but i feel as if its like finding a needle in a haystack. Up front I have a full SN-95 spindle and brakes.

I've looked as well. There's just no market demand for it so you'll never see them off ebay, and I doubt many realize it even exists. You'd pretty much have to go to a boneyard and pull it off a 91-92 Lincoln.

It was used on the 91-93 Saleens and that was the setup Ford put on the 1993 Cobra R in the rear, however many incorrectly quote the Cobra R as having 1994+ style rear cobra brakes.

Why are you opposed to just going with an SN95 setup? You already have the brackets, so all you really need are calipers and the rotors. It would better match your front setup if you are already running SN stuff there

I've looked as well. There's just no market demand for it so you'll never see them off ebay, and I doubt many realize it even exists. You'd pretty much have to go to a boneyard and pull it off a 91-92 Lincoln.

It was used on the 91-93 Saleens and that was the setup Ford put on the 1993 Cobra R in the rear, however many incorrectly quote the Cobra R as having 1994+ style rear cobra brakes.

Why are you opposed to just going with an SN95 setup? You already have the brackets, so all you really need are calipers and the rotors. It would better match your front setup if you are already running SN stuff there

Im opposed to it because now I have 2 sets of brand new discs for the turbo coupe setup haha. The MPV rotors are brembos ordered off ebay from the states, not as easy as bringing them back to Napa..

Then you need to machine something...I would go with the Lincoln rotors.

The MPV rotors are going to require an almost 1" spacer inside the rotor with ranger axles. I have fear of snapping lugs during hard braking with that method.

But like I said, I've read multiple threads of people that say this works. Seems like noone has actually ever done it though.

Edit, actually I did just read that people machine down the hub. Nearest I can figure i would need to remove about 14mm from the hub. Would leave about 5mm of material from the end of the back of the bolt to the end.

Safe or no?

Last edited:
Hard to say. It should be safe but I'm going to hesitate from giving my full blessing. You are right though that it's frequesntky talked about but I've never actually seen someone do it

considering I have these hubs out of a junkyard, I think its worth a shot to machine them if it doesnt cost a fortune. Worst case I head back to the JY and pick up more.