TURBO FOX W/AUTO NO GOOD ?

SMOKEDYA

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Jul 13, 2003
Tucson AZ
Is the AOD's that come in the stangs good trans to build or use in a 400+ HP/TQ fox?if not why and what to use? I told my buddy to go with a glide or a TH400.What ford trans is good to build if the AOD's arent good? I noticed alot of guy's ditch the AOD's that are making any kind of power,why do they ditch them? peace

john:p

• Sponsors (?)

The main reason the stock AOD's can't handle the power is the input shaft. The shaft is a two piece design that will tend break welds when horsepower reaches 350 on the crank. You could upgrade the input shaft to a one piece design and change the bands to kelvar ones. Since you will be going to 400 I would think that would do it IMO. Most people go with C4's and I have seen some C6's. They tend to be more reliable than the AOD.

AOD LOCKUP vs NON-LOCKUP Torque Converters - Click Click Racing Forums

http://www.clickclickracing.com/tech mods1.pdf

A quick search over there will give you all the info you need and then some.

If looking to upgrade…the tranny choice greatly depends on the usage. A strict ¼ mile car will not have the same requirements/abilities as a daily driver.

I myself am in process of swapping over to a 4r70w setup out of a 01 v6 mustang. In stock form they can handle 500rwhp and with a few upgrades can handle in excess of 800rwhp. I get to maintain an OD gear…and everything will be electronically controlled via. a Baumannator TCS. The converter can be locked immediately following the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts giving better ET's and MPH in the 1/4. The downside…it’s heavy as hell!!!!

Guys have pushed 1000+ with lentech AODs. Apparently they use a lot of power inefficiemly but autos in general are inefficient.

That saidwhen I go with an auto it will be a th400.
Posted via Mobile Device

This is the third year on my AOD, I thought last race that I cooked it but nope after pulling it apart all clutches and steels are good band is good so put it back together with only one change I added one extra friction to the forward clutch pack.
Then I fixed the cooling line which is what the problem was after the radiator change.
Mine still has the stock direct shaft (the week shaft) but im running 3500 non-lock convertor so its easier on that shaft when shifting to 3rd. I also put the 4r70w gearset in (2.84 1st gear) and the 2" wide band, put all stamped steel drums in it, I can say the trans will hold up to 450 hp easy.

If you don`t need overdrive then go with a C4 its light and can be made to handle 500 hp without breaking the bank. stock50lx on stangnet uses a C4 with his 408
Check out broader perf. for C4 upgrades.
Broader Performance Home Page