Turn Signal Issue...flasher Module?

IIGood

Founding Member
Aug 1, 1998
Churchton, MD
Another recent development with my 2003 GT is that the turn signal's behavior is a bit "erratic." When I signal either left or right, it will come on normally for a few flashes and then start skipping, as best as I can describe. So if normally it goes

tick-tock-tick-tock-tick-tock-tick-tock

Mine might go

tick-tock-tick-tock-tickatick-tock-tick-tock

Or, it might just pause or freeze up all together. It will either pause and restart itself, or it will just stop and I'll have to hit the switch again.

Am I looking at a flasher relay going/gone bad? I have not noticed the erratic behavior with the hazards on.

• Sponsors (?)

The same flasher module works during hazards and turn signals. Sooooooo IF it works correctly on hazards it's unlikely there's a problem with flasher module.

IMO it's more likely that your problem is:
  • one of the bulbs coming/going.
  • a weak connection in the multi-function switch.

Reactions: 1 user
The same flasher module works during hazards and turn signals. Sooooooo IF it works correctly on hazards it's unlikely there's a problem with flasher module.

IMO it's more likely that your problem is:
  • one of the bulbs coming/going.
  • a weak connection in the multi-function switch.

Thanks. The latter is what I was afraid of. The bulb would be easy, but - though likely - it would be a heck of a coincidence given that this is happening regardless of direction.

Although I've always figured there's something screwy with the MFS. Every so often when I turn on the turn signal, the washer fluid would spray constant for a few seconds. This skipping flasher probably is a nail in its coffin...

Thread revival...only because it's taken me this long to finally get to the bottom of it.

I received a new multi-function switch at Christmas and between the cold weather then, my lack of driving the Mustang, and the fact that the signals would just so happen to work properly when I did drive it, I didn't get around to installing the switch until spring.

Once I did so, the new switch seemed to work fine. There were a couple early hiccups with it and I just figured it was "breaking in" or something. As the weather improved, I drove the car more, and the signals seemed to behave.

But last month the erratic behavior started showing up again. Signals were skipping, they'd suddenly stop after a few blinks, or they just wouldn't light at all. I replaced all of the bulbs just to try. Wasn't a bad thing regardless...I don't think I had ever changed those bulbs in its 15 years. The front turn signal bulbs were losing the Amber coating and some of the taillight bulbs had a white "hazing" on them. I threw some LED reverse bulbs in there too while I was at it.

But the new bulbs didn't help. Still erratic non-signaling. I finally broke down and bought a flasher module. It arrived today, I swapped it out and tested it, and so far all seems to be working properly. I'll give it a good go tomorrow and see what it does.