Twin-turbo vs. supercharger..

The site was saying the Turbos come fully spooled at 3,000 RPM on the 4.6 applications which I feel is 'perfect'. You can run around town and not even get into it. As for the comments of never reaching 3500 RPMs in a race, you cannot be more wrong. I once had a 4cyl Turbo (1/2 the cylinders, 1/2 the turbos, but very much the same concept) set to spool at 3k with 9lbs boost. Learning to keep a Turbo spooled/unspooled isn't very hard at all. Knowing your 'lag zone' is important as well. Shifting can be very important as a very quick shift with spooled up Turbos will keep you in the power without having to go through another lag zone. My '79 'Stang (2.3L Turbo 4), wasn't much for its day normally aspirated with factory settings (6lbs boost), but after getting it set up for 9lbs, it's potential was instantly doubled. Keeping the turbo spooled up and staying above the lag zone resulted in this 4 banger of a car to literally smoke the tires off of it in 2nd, 3rd AND 4th gears (the car was a 4 speed) not to mention blow away any NA V8 powered car made that year! The biggest drawback to spooling was spooling for a launch as you have to have the pedal down and the RPMs revved pretty high but you'd launch like being shot out of a cannon! Now, what I'm talking about here is 4cyl/single Turbo applications from over 25 years ago! The concept of a V8 Twin Turbo just makes me drool at that concept even more than ever! Especially if I could slap this thing into my '98 Vert! One thing's for sure, they sure as hell have gotten expensive! A bolt on single turbo system for 4cyl in '79 could be had for about 1000 bucks (and I thought that was pretty pricey then!)... But yeah, Turbo's are awesome toys! Now if I could just win the lottery and buy a pair of them!
:banana:

• Sponsors (?)

I think you guys are really missing the points on the turbo. They will only produce power when you have it at WOT most(95%). If you are just putting around town, you will barely see any boost if any.

with a twin system on a v8 is the best and most efficient way to go. Not only will you run less boost but there will be no lag, especially if you slap in some t3/t4 hybrids or other turbos that have a smaller turbine side and a larger compressor side. No lag and plenty of top end pull

I do not think there is much doubt that a turbo setup is more efficient/powerful than a supercharger setup. The reason that most people run superchargers is cost. Superchargers are much eaiser to install, and thus cheaper. With a turbo you need new headers, intercooler, piping, heat shielding, possible a new k-member, and a place to put all of it (a big problem on the SN95 cars). A supercharger setup does not "need" an intercooler, some simple pipeing, a belt, and that is about it. Of course I left out things like injectors, MAFS, fuel system upgrade, etc. that both setup needs. A good supercharger setup may not be as efficient as a turbo, but it is a heck of a lot cheaper and easier to install. With the extra cost and work needed for a turbo setup a quality supercharge will be putting out just as much power.

The big difference between cent. and a KB is that the KB is much better in the lower rpm range. Cent. blowers are supposed to be much better at making peak hp, but the latest round of KB's can put out some serious power. You just really need to decide on which is more important. In general if you do more street driving you will want a KB. If you want to make big power and go fast at teh tack then you want a cent.

fatkidracing4.6 said:
ok to the comment that turbos are better than superchargers is a matter of opinion entirely! Yes it takes power to make power you are correct, but the thing you are forgetting is that thing called turbo lag! Turbos are only good once you get them spooled up! The other thought i think i would throw out here is that while the idea of twin turbos is really good i would go to a single turbo but run a bigger turbo! MY reasoning is when you runn twin turbo you are essentially splitting the motor in 2 equal halfs! To tune 2 engines to do the same thing at the same time takes a lot of time and effort! if your one side is jsut running a fraction off it could hurt you more than it could help you! that is jsut my 2 shiny pennys!

wrong on a few levels. #1. turbo lag is almost non-existent on modern turbos. #2. twin turbos will have even less lag than a single. no there is a whole lot. #3. you ARE NOT splitting the motor into 2 halfs. both turbos run into a single intercooler then into the engine. #4. turbos ARE better than superchargers size for size and psi to psi. it's a fact, not opinion.