Twin-turbo vs. supercharger..

May 20, 2005
Arkansas
I have been searching and looking at all kinds of power adders and i think i have picked one, but i just was not quite sure. I would like some opinions on the choices.. Twin Turbo that link will point you to the Twin turbo setup that i am looking at.. but the superchargers are the KB 1.7L and the Procharger P1SC 10-12lb kit..

• Sponsors (?)

A turbo charger will always be better than a supercharger. Superchargers take power to make power while turbos don't. Turbos use the exhaust gas energy that the engine wastes which is free power. Superchargers run off of a belt which causes parasitic loss. Thats why a turbo running 6psi will always make more power than a supercharger running the same 6psi.

I was considering a TT setup for my GT a little while back. I dont know much about turbos but I have a friend who works for Honda Performance up in Dublin, OH (works for honda but is all about mustangs). He checked out the HPPerformance turbos at turbochargedpower.com and told me the set-up for the turbos was no good. Something to do with the positioning of the turbos and what not...cant remember exactly. Anyway he told me to check out www.inductionconcepts.com. He said they have one of the best set-ups he's seen around. They are a little (really) pricey, the 4.6 2V kit is $10.5K. They've got a couple cool vids as well. Hope this helps. :cheers:

I would kill for a TT stang. I definitly suggest you go that route. My future dream is to have a TT cobra, running max boost, with full bolt ons and a set of slicks. (mouth begins watering...)

ok to the comment that turbos are better than superchargers is a matter of opinion entirely! Yes it takes power to make power you are correct, but the thing you are forgetting is that thing called turbo lag! Turbos are only good once you get them spooled up! The other thought i think i would throw out here is that while the idea of twin turbos is really good i would go to a single turbo but run a bigger turbo! MY reasoning is when you runn twin turbo you are essentially splitting the motor in 2 equal halfs! To tune 2 engines to do the same thing at the same time takes a lot of time and effort! if your one side is jsut running a fraction off it could hurt you more than it could help you! that is jsut my 2 shiny pennys!

fatkidracing4.6 said:
ok to the comment that turbos are better than superchargers is a matter of opinion entirely! Yes it takes power to make power you are correct, but the thing you are forgetting is that thing called turbo lag! Turbos are only good once you get them spooled up! The other thought i think i would throw out here is that while the idea of twin turbos is really good i would go to a single turbo but run a bigger turbo! MY reasoning is when you runn twin turbo you are essentially splitting the motor in 2 equal halfs! To tune 2 engines to do the same thing at the same time takes a lot of time and effort! if your one side is jsut running a fraction off it could hurt you more than it could help you! that is jsut my 2 shiny pennys!

You are correct that "turbo lag" is a common issue, but that isnt true in every application. Centrifugal superchargers dont build boost instantly either; they build boost with RPMs. A good turbo setup would minimize turbo lag by sizing the turbo's properly for the application. A good street twin turbo setup with properly sized turbo's coming on with full boost by 2,800rpm isnt impossible. I know that forced induction cars rev up quicker, and my stock GT revs up pretty damn quick in 1st gear as it is. Full boost at 2,800rpm would be plenty quick for me. Besides, that small delay in boost gives a little more time for the tires to hook up.

I wouldnt even call it lag, its going to be building boost as soon as you hit it. the rampup will be worlds faster than a centri, and actually pretty close to the KB...but grant it that it will spool up fast from say a 3rd gear romp at 60 but it will not make instant full boost like the KB...I have seen some go from vac to 20PSI in like a 1/2 second....it would take the turbo a little while to do that from a 4K punch but it should be pretty quick....turbo beats the centri on a street car perfomance wise hands down. TS vs TT is a matter of opinion. On higher powered cars the centris are great as they are predictable, TTs get crazy and hit HARD in high HP car. And can get a little wild on the street compared to the centri...KBs hit instantly so they are pretty predictable too.

lag? Rad's turbos at Induction concepts are designed to spool at like 3500, how often are you at 3500 in a race?...never! even with an auto with a stall you are going to be above that. hands down TTs are way better, they'll produce tons more power. I'm getting twin 66's with a host of other sh** and it'll be good for 1000hp to the wheels, 1200-1250 at the crank.

Turbos would net higher HP numbers and can be more reliable with a good tune. Also, this makes this way more expensive than any supercharger setup out there for a Mustang. Not too many Stangs are turboed, but its definitely worth a try and im sure it would make killer power.

You guys are all right and what it boils down to is personal prefrence, and how much loot ya got if you know what i mean! Centrifugals are damn close to turbos. The only difference is a turbo is exhaust driven and the centrifigul is belt driven! I personally would use a roots style! More efficient! but will not net you as high of hp numbers as easily!
I would like to see someone come out with a sequential turbo setup for the stangs! that would be the way to go!
Andrew

fatkidracing4.6 said:
and how much loot ya got
Actually for the real hardcore turbo enthusiast, you dont have to buy one of those 7g kits. Instead you can do a scrap build which includes attaining all the parts anyway you can (You will love junkyards) and alil welding for things such as the headers. In the end you will be equal to the power of a similar kit, and would have spent 1.5-2k on parts, with countless hours of labor.