u/d pullies

steveb24

Nov 28, 2005
wilmington, DE
i see these u/d pulleys for sale. march, bbk, steeda. the prices are different but do they all off the same power gains? im only interested in gaining power, and im not putting the aftermarket alt pulley on when i buy a set. which set should i get? does it really matter?

• Sponsors (?)

The cheaper ones are a "piggyback" style that just attach over the factory balancer. THe more exspensive ones actualy replace the dampner. The piggyback style are prone to warping if not torqued down properly and loctited in place. Also they interfere with any aftermarket timing adjusters. ALSO not sfi approved. Everone will agree the difference is worth it for the better ones. I have the Steeda ones and they work great.All will make about the same 7-9 rwhp.

youre just paying for names. seriously, theyre billet discs that you bolt up, kinda hard to **** it up, and too simple to say countless hours were spend on RnD.

i have the march udp's. i had them in my closet for a long ass time waiting for a rainy day that i knew would come (you know, the day you want to work on the car but have nothing to install). well i finally did, took a hour or so. pretty much wasted, as there werent even any sotp gains on teh butt dyno. my alternator pully looks nice though.

just sayin, dont expect much. im sure they help in some way, shape or form, and its a cheap bolt on, so might as well do it anyways.

They are good if you are looking for maybe a tenth at the track. I don't like them myself but if you want them go with the Steeda or ASP...they are the ones that replace the crank pulley.

Kilgore Trout said:
Hell will freeze over before I put pullies on MY car :notnice:

You know, I always agreed with you about that. Then last weekend, at a dyno day, an '01 GT put down 6 more hp and 5 more torque than I, with only dumps and underdrives. (Not like I have a ton of mods, but I expected to be equal to him at the very least.)

Steeda pulleys are a proven mod, 7-8 hp for under 200 dollars. Thats alot for a modular bolt on. I just sold a new set for 130 shipped so deals are out there.
I don't know anyone who ever had an issue with properly installed Steeda pulleys.

Kilgore Trout said:
I kind of agree...I had them on my car and pulled them off. 2 alternators and 2 batteries in 2.5 years was too much. Now I drive 30K a year so it may have something to do with the quicker wear but I won't do it again.

Kilgore Trout said:

KT,

Do you actually know anything about . . . well anything? You drive a completely stock GT, yet you're quite the expert in regards to goin' fast. I expect that you have a buddie that sweeps the floor at the local speed shop that keeps you in the loop . . .

Steveb24,

I went the Steeda route myself (prior to my blower). I chose Steeda because they also offer a timing adjuster that fits within their crank pulley. I also did not use the alternator pulley because I've got a fairly serious audio system . . . I did have to pull these both off prior to installing the blower and just haven't gotten around to selling them.

coramprat said:
I kind of agree...I had them on my car and pulled them off. 2 alternators and 2 batteries in 2.5 years was too much. Now I drive 30K a year so it may have something to do with the quicker wear but I won't do it again.

What pullies did u have rick. You know I have had them and put 28K on my car last year with zero problems.

damacman said:
KT,

Do you actually know anything about . . . well anything? You drive a completely stock GT, yet you're quite the expert in regards to goin' fast. I expect that you have a buddie that sweeps the floor at the local speed shop that keeps you in the loop . . .

Steveb24,

I went the Steeda route myself (prior to my blower). I chose Steeda because they also offer a timing adjuster that fits within their crank pulley. I also did not use the alternator pulley because I've got a fairly serious audio system . . . I did have to pull these both off prior to installing the blower and just haven't gotten around to selling them.

lol very true... unless hes had some schoolin or real life experence.

damacman said:
KT,

:rlaugh: :rlaugh: :rlaugh: :rlaugh: :owned: yessss the redheaded stepchild of newer mustangs (as far as performance goes) a STOCK, AUTO, CONVERTIBLE. he says he will never put any pullies on his car, but will he ever put ANYTHING on his car?