Interior and Upholstery U nut source

limp

wrap a little cheese around it and its a done
Oct 4, 2020
Florida
Trying to replace the rusty u nuts on my heater box that hold the blower motor in,,, One would think they are pretty common, but most suppliers do NOT have the dimensions of the clips they sell so I am not sure if they are correct or not... These clips are really small.....
They can only be 7/16 in width, 5/8 in length and need to slide over the appx 1/8" thick heater box plastic and take #8 or #10 screws??

Anyone else tried to find these??? Spent a couple of hours so far looking for them, besides driving to 3 auto parts stores.. close but NO cigar..

DSCF1077.JPG

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

Have you browsed McMaster Carr?
Ace usually has a good selection of panel nuts or clips.
Been a struggle finding a U nut this small.. Nothing at Ace, Depot or Lowes or at the Dorman rack at NAPA......
I looked at McMaster and again, there are no dimensions for width? Four of these clips fit into a recessed area for them on the Blower motor housing so the width is critical..
Hoped that others on here had replaced these on there cars before.......
Thanks for any help......

Last edited:
More pics . Heater box, where the u nut has to fit, and a comparison with the Au Ve Co 10066 u nut that was used on the rest of the heater box...
DSCF1078.JPG
DSCF1079.JPG
DSCF1081.JPG

Last edited:
Been a struggle finding a clip this small.. Nothing at Ace, Depot or Lowes or at the Dorman rack at NAPA......
I looked at McMaster and again, there are no dimensions for width? Four of these clips fit into a recessed area for them on the Blower motor housing so the width is critical..
That’s a big screw for a little clip nut. The only dimension you did not provide is the main one M/C provides easily. What is the edge to center measurement?
Here is the next place I’d check.

Last edited:
That’s a big screw for a little clip nut. The only dimension you did not provide is the main one M/C provides easily. What is the edge to center measurement?
Here is the next place I’d check.
Edge to center of hole measure is appx 3/8"..... This measurement seems to be simple to find, its the width ( as you can see from the pictures) that I am having the problem with..... If I could find these for a #6 or #8 screw I would give them a try.......
thanks for the lead.....

Last edited:
Been a struggle finding a U nut this small.. Nothing at Ace, Depot or Lowes or at the Dorman rack at NAPA......

Click on the item you want to look at and at the bottom left it will say “product Info” or something like that and it will have a fully dimensioned CAD drawing

Reactions: 1 user
Well they were close in size, but they were all for thinner metal... Found some bolts I was looking for though......
Bentley got his usual treat in the Appliance dept.....
DSCF0757.JPG

• Surprised
On the cheap, not resto quality but get it done. Harbor freight And a bench grinder comes in handy..... https://www.harborfreight.com/170-p...MI-Mic45uV-QIVg4vICh0WqQ12EAQYAyABEgKg5fD_BwE

AUveco 23528 or 23527 might work.... Try searching the dimensions need in decimals or metric on google.

For the odd ball stuff I check places like this but tend to order enough stuff to get free shipping. I could prob fix 20 more more wallowed out door hinges with my last order between door pins, wider GM hinge bushings and other misc fox body clips and items i find on those type of sites lol https://autofastenersandclips.com/products/auveco-23528?variant=31875706880058

• Useful
On the cheap, not resto quality but get it done. Harbor freight And a bench grinder comes in handy..... https://www.harborfreight.com/170-p...MI-Mic45uV-QIVg4vICh0WqQ12EAQYAyABEgKg5fD_BwE

AUveco 23528 or 23527 might work.... Try searching the dimensions need in decimals or metric on google.

For the odd ball stuff I check places like this but tend to order enough stuff to get free shipping. I could prob fix 20 more more wallowed out door hinges with my last order between door pins, wider GM hinge bushings and other misc fox body clips and items i find on those type of sites lol https://autofastenersandclips.com/products/auveco-23528?variant=31875706880058
I just tried searching for " dimensions" and all I get is the Auveco site which does not give me length or width ......

• Description : Spring Type U-Nut
  • Screw Size : #8
  • Finish : Black
  • Material : Steel
  • Overall Length : 0.610"
  • Panel Range : 0.045-0.062"
  • Center of Hole to Edge : 0.320"
  • Overall Width : 0.437"
  • Style : U

Its a ford general purpose clip in most parts books

thank you..... How the heck did you get the Auveco site to cough up dimensions??
Those look about perfect except for the range, they might be too small.... I need to measure some more....
thanks again........

Another pic of how much " range " I need... The above clips are for 1/16" thick panel ...... I need 1/8"..
Rednotch, I reread your comment and grinding down some u nuts to fit is a possible option...
DSCF1082.JPG