ULTIMATE sleeper combo????!!1

cleanLX said:
Agree'd.
Rolling up to a car on the highway and rolling with it... well, you never know what you're up against.
Checking out a car in the pits/sonic/show and shine, and agree'n to line them up is a horse of a different colour.

this is the neatest sleeper I've seen.
11.60's with stock valve covers, iron heads (yes young fella's, back then TFS made iron heads) and stock appearing intakes, MAM, injectors battery wiper motor, working a/c, full smog intact... and N/A, at the time it was all stock interior and sheet metal.
http://www.duffeemotorsports.com/shopcar.htm

thats a true sleeper

• Sponsors (?)

Mine is close enough if it is not running. NObody expects to see a fast Thunderbird. :) I didn't want to install the hood, but it was needed.

moneypitsig.jpg

Full Details:
http://members.tccoa.com/393bird/

that duffe car is EXACTLY what i'm talking about!! needs to be stock looking under the hood, stroker, ported, heads done to look stock, hidden nitrous, stock looking with 10 sec ET BADA$$, that car is my hero, i want to be it when i grow up. :nice:

anyone know how they cut the intake in half? along what part near the plenum or what? i was thinking about using an explorer intake, wanted to use aftermarket heads, but having a hard time making em look stock, so think i ported some stock ones with slightly bigger valves, if i hit mid 12's on the bottle on DR's then i'll be stoked, anyoned know if you can carve the front of the aftermarket aluminum heads then paint em to look stock?? would hate to grind up my TFS heads and break through into something!!! :bang:

I like my car as a sleeper like 393 bird's. It's a 92 SC t-bird w/ a 302. Not all that loud so you don't expect a fast car, especialy a thunderbird.

But 393Bird, you could have bought the 94-95 cobra upper intake instead of buying the hood. It sits low enough that you don't need the cowl hood. That's what I did anyway.

tbird4.jpg

Allforspeed said:
anyone know how they cut the intake in half? along what part near the plenum or what? i was thinking about using an explorer intake, wanted to use aftermarket heads, but having a hard time making em look stock, so think i ported some stock ones with slightly bigger valves, if i hit mid 12's on the bottle on DR's then i'll be stoked, anyoned know if you can carve the front of the aftermarket aluminum heads then paint em to look stock?? would hate to grind up my TFS heads and break through into something!!! :bang:

Who needs a bottle and ported heads to run mid 12s? Just do it NA! :D

Some cut at the rear plenum - but you have to be careful where you cut. I would cut on the horizontal runner section before the plenum after welding up the "valleys" between the runners on the undereneath side so you can enlarge the runner cross section where it can't be seen. That takes a LOT of welding/work and not many guys are willing to pay for that kind of work on a stock intake. I have had 3 guys over the years ask me and I have done 3 so far. These guys are normally money street racers and are very careful about letting anyone know who they really are.

I think there are different kinds of sleepers. The kind that look stock but once they are cranked up you know there is something going on. Then there are the type that sound stock until you hear something spool or it "open up" and then there would be the MONEY MAKER. Here is an idea:

Thumper Heads w/ gt40 valves and upgraded springs, Tmoss ported lower, FMS Throttle body, C&L MAF but keep the stock air tube and air box but just a K&N and silencer removed. Black underdrive pullies, stock exaust with an o/r H pipe into stock muffs, conservative cam or stock cam degreed back on 1.7's, and for the knockout punch, a 347 stroker shortblock. Keeping everything else outside looking stock. Even the most knowlegable person would think it was just a "stock mustang with maby a mild cam and o/r H pipe and a C&L" Oh yeah, the heads and block unpainted and maby even spray some oil on it so it looks old and worn out, and kick some butt.

Allforspeed said:

they cut the intake front to back, basically right where the runners start to curve down toward the lower.
That upper is so thin it's almost scary to handle... you think you're going to break the walls in. between runners is no thicker than greeting cards.
The lower had a tonne of weld and work done to it as well.
I bet if you had to pay them to do a set of intakes like that you'd be looking at well over a grand... oh ya, well over.
There is so much material removed from the upper and lower, it feels like you are handeling cardboard.

393Bird said:
No way this will fit under the stock hood. It just clears the 3 inch cowl. :)

Wow! nice, mine's no where near that nice looking.
I didn't realize you had a carb setup. I went FI. And then you have a stroked 351, which sits higher than the 302 anyways so it wouldn't work.
Have any more pics or anything, i'm having some trouble with mine right now, wondering how you did some things.

Sir Hacksalot said:
If you'll never open your hood, I think Tim Stockwell's notch that was in a recent 5.0 Magazine article is just the ticket.

http://www.5litermustang.com

This guy is my hero.

Vortech V1, 17 lbs of boost, Snow Methanol injection, and 10.90's in the 1/4 on a stock engined coupe.

Hax

That car is utterly SICK. I like the way he kept the stock hood too; makes me seriously think about ditching my cowl hood in favor of a factory piece. Fiberglass hoods don't exactly scream "sleeper".

A stock sleeper IMO,,should look 100% rite off the show room floor stock!! No after market rims,no roll bars,no cowl hoods,,no fuel cells,,ect.,,,,, My digital camara fell into a pool so I cant post any pics.Except for a t-moss lower intake,mines all stock,and I have the et to prove it,,but its not to bad for an aod.Im getting some Thumper heads,and a cam!! Im hoping for high 12's :nice: The best part is,if someone asks you to see your motor,it looks all factory,AC,smog,power steering, ect.,, I was gonna get a ft1 cam,,but this Buddy Rawls sounds interesting!! How can I contact him Tom? (T-Moss)

Sleeper... hmm,

stroked 331, cast iron GT40 Heads shaved and ported with larger valves, mild cam, stock exhaust with gutted cats, ported stock lower and upper intake, K&N airfilter, Cobra Mass air meter and Throttle Body, roller rockers, hidden MSD, MSD Blaster coil under coil cover, larger fuel pump, then lighter suspension like K-member spray painted black then throw some oil and dirt on it to make it not stand out as much, Sticky Tires, Short Throw Shifter, Sneaky Pete Nirtous Kit hidden in fenderwell with the nozzle from edlebrock... then get some plastic and mold it into the stock inlet tube going to the throttle body,

The ultimate sleeper, I wonder what that thing would run. I wonder if you can take the colored tabs off the injectors... if so get some 24#'s. If someone wasn't looking very very close then you could make some money:)