Underdrive Pulleys Installed

COBESGT

Oct 19, 2004
Dubuque, Iowa
All,
I just installed my set of Moto Blue UDP's and wanted to let eveyone know that it's a really easy install. The hardest thing was removing the stock crank pulley and then re-installing it and getting the proper torque.

If you have a set of these and are worried about the install, don't worry any longer, just do it. The Tech Article available from this web-site is very good and very informative. Follow the steps and it only takes 1 - 2 hours.:D

• Sponsors (?)

Did you get the whole kit, or just the crank pulley? I refuse to buy from RPM, but it interests me that they have a 3 pulley kit. I find it a bit odd, though, that noone else offers the 3 pullies. That makes me assume it's probably not good for a daily driver unless you're running an electric water pump. I don't know that I would want to race with less drive to the water pump.

Did you get the whole kit, or just the crank pulley? I refuse to buy from RPM, but it interests me that they have a 3 pulley kit. I find it a bit odd, though, that noone else offers the 3 pullies. That makes me assume it's probably not good for a daily driver unless you're running an electric water pump. I don't know that I would want to race with less drive to the water pump.

I thought all pulley sets included a WP pulley. That's why I haven't done that mod. Which brands leave the stock WP pulley?

Edit: I just checked brenspeed and they sell steeda which comes with 2 pulleys, what do those 2 replace?

Hrmm... I guess I really hadn't paid attention. I was just looking on RPM's site and they had the single pulley with a new belt, then the 3 pulley system, and I really hadn't seen any other 3 pulley systems.

3pc Pulley Set (Moto-Blue's)

Hrmm... I guess I really hadn't paid attention. I was just looking on RPM's site and they had the single pulley with a new belt, then the 3 pulley system, and I really hadn't seen any other 3 pulley systems.

From one of my posts regarding the brand Moto-Blue pulleys I bought a set of these used from a fellow stangnet member. These are very nice and included the following new parts, Crank Pulley (smaller than stock), Water Pump Pulley (larger than stock), Billet Idler Pulley (same size as stock), and all the necessary instructions and hardware to complete the install. All pulleys retained the stock serpentine belt and were a breeze to install.

Is the major concern over running the water pump slower? IMO, I really don't think it's that big of an issue, unless your just sitting in traffic idling all the time. The other plus is that these cars have electric fans which will cool the car even if you are doing a lot of idling in traffic (thermostat controlled).

The other option would be to install an electric water pump (some what expensive though), which also gains some more Horsepower.

For me, these are the types of Mods that I want to do to my car. Yes, would I love to have a supercharger, but I just can't seem to come-up with the $4 - $5K that is involved with that upgrade (family man with a wife, 3 kids, house payment, a dog, cat, and fish :) ).

i just intalled my steeda pullies about a week ago and all the crap about having to use shop tools in not true. it took me about and hour to do with some sockets, screw drivers, and a breaker bar. The crank pulley bolt slipped right off with no trouble when i used the breaker bar! I had to rent a pully puller from auto zone for 25 bucks but thats about it. i can feel a difference for sure, plus they really clean up the engine bay! great mod, right up there with intake and tune!

Finally got a chance to take the car for a short drive

"Well", could you feel a difference?

Now it's hard to say, since I've only driven the car one other time this year (after sitting all winter long), but it does feel like it has more power. It seemed to REV much faster and pull a little better. :nice:

I wish I would of GTECH'd it for before and after numbers.

Now it's hard to say, since I've only driven the car one other time this year (after sitting all winter long), but it does feel like it has more power. It seemed to REV much faster and pull a little better. :nice:

I wish I would of GTECH'd it for before and after numbers.

I wanna see some underhood pics!

UDP's

I put 'em on a '97 & a '00 GT. No problems with either install, or A/C or charging system. Noticable? maybe a small increase, but nothing to write home about. I decided not to mess with my 2006, just didn't think the small increase justified the work and the money, but that's just me.