Unknown noise

Stallion187

Feb 27, 2010
I have a 98 mustang GT 5 speed and there is this loud Whinning sound coming from my car. It goes away when I put in the clutch but when im in nuetral and idoling or even driving the noise is there. If im in nuetral and rev the engine the noise get louder as the rpms raise. What is this noise??

• Sponsors (?)

I have a 98 mustang GT 5 speed and there is this loud Whinning sound coming from my car. It goes away when I put in the clutch but when im in nuetral and idoling or even driving the noise is there. If im in nuetral and rev the engine the noise get louder as the rpms raise. What is this noise??

Its definitely transmission-based since it goes away when you apply the clutch. Have you checked the fluid level? You may be low or need to flush the tranny.

I doubt it's the throwout bearing since it's not loaded when the clutch is engaged. A TB is more likely to make noise when the pedal is on the floor and the bearing is pressed hard against the clutch cover diaphram.

Based on the described symptoms, I'll side with Nightfire and go with an internal transmission issue.

I doubt it's the throwout bearing since it's not loaded when the clutch is engaged. A TB is more likely to make noise when the pedal is on the floor and the bearing is pressed hard against the clutch cover diaphram.

Based on the described symptoms, I'll side with Nightfire and go with an internal transmission issue.

I wouldn't say that. My thorowout bearing would make a REALLY annoying chirp when I wasn't touching the clutch, but would go quiet the second I applied any pressure to it. It's been a pretty common problem in T45s and T3650s both.

+1 Throwout bearing. Had exact same issue, I replaced with a ford racing one after the bearing that came with my spec stage II clutch went out after about 500 miles after install. the ford one Works like a champ now zero issues over 50,000 miles since install.