Upgrade to high-rise dual plane(Performer RPM), holley DP?

SadbutTrue

Founding Member
May 1, 2002
Granada Hills, California
I currently have a Performer and a Edelbrock 600 on my car (edit: its a 351w). I was wondering, if I were to replace them with a Performer RPM and Holley 650 DP, what would happen to my power band. My gut feeling is I'd lose some torque but gain some top end power, but nothing major either way because I have a stock cam and heads. The main advantage is the RPM and and DP could support more power later on (ie a more aggressive cam, some aluminum heads, etc, etc.)

A few questions about that... am I right in my assumptions about the powerband? I have heard I will need a drop base air cleaner for the RPM to work in a 65/66, is this true (I have a 66, I heard the motor sits slightly higher in 66s as opposed to 65s, is this a factor?)? Will the double pumper be too much, and what do I have to do to get it to properly work with an auto (being that I usually see Holley DPs on manuals)?

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

With a 1500 - 6500 RPM power range, it shouldn't hurt you too bad. Have you looked into the Stealth? I had it on my old 302 and I liked it alot.

The carb may be a bit much for the engine, for the time being. I don't think transmission type will affect how it works on the engine.

For the time it takes to do and the cost of gaskets, I wouldn't bother until you do the cam/heads anyways. You will have to pull the intake to do the cam, so you might as well wait. If the motor doesn't see 4500+ rpms currently, then there isn't a huge advantage. Also, I have heard the stealth is much nicer than a performer rpm (for 351W only).

Going Performer to Performer RPM will not change things much at all.
Going to a Holley carb will change things alot. That is if you take your time and set it up right.
Some tid-bits to ponder:
Dual plane intakes are harder to over carb than others.
With your 351, 650 cfm is on the small side.
Double pumpers are easiest to tune for a manual, but can work fine on an auto trans too.
If you want to stay conservative, I would go Stealth with a 650 DP or 750 vac.
You will not be dissappointed though, with a Torker and 650 DP.
The Torker is also the same height as the Performer... overrides your hood clearance concerns.
Good luck
Dave

Btw: How do you like your swap headers?
Were they a good fit? What is the primary dia? Are they LTs?

There is a torker 2 on ebay at the moment for 50 bucks. I'm not sold on this intake though, and I'm pretty sure I'd have to wait on it until I was able to do more things (I'd need the TC, cam, carb etc).

the headers are 1 5/8" to 2.5". They installed very easily once we figured out that you had to jack up the motor to get them in. Even though my engine doesn't rev very high at the moment, there was a topend power increase, and a drop in low end torque (doesnt' matter because i still over power the rear tires whenever i want to and quite often when I do'nt want to). Like many, I have had the occasional exhaust leak that Heddman's seem to have frequently, so you have to tighten them kinda frquently (or you could try getting better bolts, i guess... it doesn't bother me enough to change it).

Spend the 50 bux...
If you don't love it, I'll buy it for 100.
Seriously!
I am in the market.
You said yourself that you can overpower the tires at will and then some.
I swear, one of these days you'll just do it and wonder why you didn't do it sooner. ;)

well, while that is a tempting offer to be sure, i'm not sure. Im not home very long over christmas break, and it'd probably have to sit until summer when i could do more things to get the the car ready for it. I don't think I'd feel any of the improvement without a cam and head modifications. Though I suppose I could just buy it and have it ready for the build up in summer.... I guess I'll think about it for a few hours.

Feel free to bid on it.. here she is... she has a gasket match port job done to her, appears to be in nice shape and has a low shipping price, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...&item=7940018005&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT

edit: and yes, my headers are LTs.

edit 2: How much better is the Torker than the Stealth on the topend? Does the Stealth still need a drop base air cleaner?

ALright, well can anyone recommend a chrome or aluminum 14 inch drop base air cleaner? I like my current one a lot (you can see it in the site on my sig), and I think its base is slightly dropped, but not enough to fit an RPM or Stealth.

On that note, can anyone once and for all tell me if the Stealth needs a drop base cleaner? I know the RPM does, but the specs on their respective sites say the stealth might be a teeny bit shorter than the rpm, so maybe... just maybe...

edit: How about trd part number TRD-2147 off summit? Looks decent, and its definitely dropped... could I fit a K&N in there at a later time (not a big issue, but might as well know)?