Upgrades radiator that’s not a 3 core??

ChaseRoads

do I need to lube this area?
Oct 29, 2020
midwestern america
My stock radiator has a crack and needs replaced. This is a mostly stock cruiser so I don’t really care to do electric fans or a huge radiator. Is there a decent middle ground? Something better than stock but not a 3 core?

Car is a 91 5.0 manual with stock fan and working ac.

• Sponsors (?)

I replaced the stock radiator in my 1991 two years ago with a stock replacement from RockAuto and it’s been great.
Not an upgrade, but if you’re open to a stock replacement keeping it all the same then this is an option. It worked out great for me…
RockAuto part TYC556.
I sprayed it with Eastwood Radiator Black before install.
IMG_7023.jpeg
IMG_7026.png
IMG_6368.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users
I replaced the stock radiator in my 1991 two years ago with a stock replacement from RockAuto and it’s been great.
Not an upgrade, but if you’re open to a stock replacement keeping it all the same then this is an option. It worked out great for me…
RockAuto part TYC556.
IMG_7023.jpeg
IMG_7026.png
IMG_6368.jpeg

Stuff like that you might be better off with the local parts store, you can get those at AutoZone for around 150 plus tax with a 20% online code and have a lifetime warranty that's useable vs mail order with shipping... I haven't had an overseas aluminum one last more then a few years before a leak.. I still have a GDI brass 3 core in one car, miss those. Got to be 26-27 yrs old now.

I have zero experience with these but the reviews on Summit look promising:

A lil bit cheaper than the Mishimoto, American Muscle also sell a 2 row SR Performance radiator that, according to their description, has "increased cooling capacity" and can "dissipate heat much faster than the stock OEM radiator". I would expect that from any 2 row radiator, versus the stock radiator, which I believe is a single row design.

I still have a GDI brass 3 core in one car, miss those. Got to be 26-27 yrs old now.

Those were the best deals around back in the day.

I still have one in my car. Think i bought it around 2000 or 2001. Don't even need to use my E-fan most of the time at it cools so well. WIll be doing my best to protect this radiator from damage.

Radiator repair has to be a dying trade. I haven't seen a shop around my way offer such a thing in a long time.

I did have a brass 3 row pepboys radiator that did me right for the longest time, not sure if you can get one of those anymore.

I don't think i would buy any aftermarket with plastic tanks.

Not sure what choices that leaves, but for me i don't believe there is such a thing as too much cooling capacity. I'm a bit of a gauge watcher (with a full sweep autometer mechanical gauge), so it's nice to see the needle never leave 180.

The ole Pep Boys 433138 made by GDI ( Go-Dan Industries). Best deal ever for $100 in the early 2000s

They changed the construction at some point. Was originally 3-core but was later changed to 2-core and a different construction and then discontinued.

Was a local shop that recored radiators and heater cores. When I pull my heater core out, I was going to send it to them to recore. They were a tad expensive and I came across a deal for two NOS brass heater cores for cheaper so didn’t go that route. I would consider recoring this radiator if it ever developed a leak.

Reactions: 1 user
Radiator repair has to be a dying trade. I haven't seen a shop around my way offer such a thing in a long time.

I did have a brass 3 row pepboys radiator that did me right for the longest time, not sure if you can get one of those anymore.

I don't think i would buy any aftermarket with plastic tanks.

Not sure what choices that leaves, but for me i don't believe there is such a thing as too much cooling capacity. I'm a bit of a gauge watcher (with a full sweep autometer mechanical gauge), so it's nice to see the needle never leave 180.
They are still out there... Had a bad experience with my local one but found a better one in a town next door, appx 20 miles away....
They checked my Radiator, Brass heater core, condenser and my evaporator... Just like the " old " days......

Reactions: 1 user
RockAuto part TYC556.
IMG_7023.jpeg
IMG_7026.png
IMG_6368.jpeg
I ended up doing just this. I opted to use high temp engine paint and it turned out great and looks stock.

Reactions: 1 users
$160 sounds like a good price..... where's that from?

several retailiers... i think Steeda,, Summit, Champion web site
I thought that price seemed a little too good.

Steeda has the Fox 2 row Champion for $220. At the Champion site, they are $225. Summit doesn't have any Champion radiators for Foxes.... the same for AM, CJP and LMR. NPD has 'em for $239 and Jeg's for $231.