Upgrading 302

Ryl4nj

Dec 5, 2018
Texas
So i'm trying to figure out a good way to build up my stock 302 without breaking the bank. I've heard gt40 heads and intake manifold off the old explorers open up the engine quite a bit. Also planning on putting a procharger in as well. Would those heads and stock pistons, rods, crank handle any amount of boost? Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

The explorer heads and intake will flow better than the stock stuff. The heads will need to get checked out by a machine shop and you'll need better valve springs installed. Good time to install head studs as well.

Explorer heads can end up costing almost as much as cheaper aluminum heads. If you know how to check them out yourself, lap the valves, and install springs you'll save a bit.

I've seen a few guys run up to 10 psi on stock stuff. If it were me I'd stay around 7.

Reactions: 1 user
I am currently running 11-12 psi on stock crank and rods, the pistons were upgraded to forged.

I have a set of modified GT40 heads and i will tell you they are not worth putting money into, save your pennies and buy a new set of aluminum heads.

If your planning on stuffing a pro charger on it I would save the money and buy a good set of aluminum heads. At least a set of trick flow twisted wedge. The deck thickness of the aftermarket heads will help to keep from blowing head gaskets, and go ahead and replace the head bolts with arp head studs. You can usually find decent deals on the twisted wedge heads used on eBay or craigslist. If you plan on building the motor any bigger than the stock 302 later I would go ahead and save a few hundred more dollars for a set of AFR 185’s or 205’s. The ford racing F-303 camshaft is a good off the shelf cam for boost, you will also need bigger a bigger fuel pump, bigger injectors 42# green top’s and a bigger mass air meter to run the supercharger.