upgrading my 1980 302

Sab187

Apr 21, 2008
ok, so I need some knowlegable advice. I have a 1980 motor non- H.O. in my Mazda rx-7. It is bone stock except for headers and a 650 c.f.m edelbrock carb. I recently rebuilt the bottom end but didn't do the heads. Before I had a 1985 H.O. 302 i got from the wreckers in there, but after i put it in i found out it was in very bad shape so had to get this 1980 engine to replace it. I am finding a lack of power and i was thinking of refreshing the ho heads and putting on an edelbrock performer intake and a street cam. Then later when the budget permits i was gonna get some pro comp aluminum heads (2.02/1.60 175 intake ) on. My question is what would it take to make my 1980 a roller cam like my h.o. and are the h.o. heads interchangeable with my heads for the 1980 motor. thx for any help

• Sponsors (?)

ok, so I need some knowlegable advice. I have a 1980 motor non- H.O. in my Mazda rx-7. It is bone stock except for headers and a 650 c.f.m edelbrock carb. I recently rebuilt the bottom end but didn't do the heads. Before I had a 1985 H.O. 302 i got from the wreckers in there, but after i put it in i found out it was in very bad shape so had to get this 1980 engine to replace it. I am finding a lack of power and i was thinking of refreshing the ho heads and putting on an edelbrock performer intake and a street cam. Then later when the budget permits i was gonna get some pro comp aluminum heads (2.02/1.60 175 intake ) on. My question is what would it take to make my 1980 a roller cam like my h.o. and are the h.o. heads interchangeable with my heads for the 1980 motor. thx for any help

probably cost you less to just pick up motor and freshen it up...the last 302 rollers i bought i got for under 200...