upgrading..need advice

heckish

Aug 5, 2003
nc
I have a 1998 v6 mustang manual 5speed. Im buying parts online tonight and need to know exactly what to get. Right now this is what i have on my list.
<br>
diablo stage III sport chip
<br>
mac cold air induction
<br>
new pulleys
<br>
3.73 gears
<br>

Ok my questions are: for the 3.73 gears should i also get in addition to them: Posi-Traction (Traction Lok) 7.5" Differential, 28-tooth spline?? or just leave that alone?

for the sport chip, i searched all over my car for the computer code and all i could find was the sticker on the driver side door panel where the lock connects that says vin #, info about the cars weight, paint, etc...i found 'upc' and then a code in format xxxx-xxxxxxx-xx i know they differ from car to car, but does that seem to be the correct format? I cant find ANYthing else information wise except for this sticker on the entire car. I already have flowmasters installed. Again id like to order tonight so if anyone can answer my questions before tomorrow that would be awesome.

Thanks for your help!

• Sponsors (?)

heckish said:
for the sport chip, i searched all over my car for the computer code and all i could find was the sticker on the driver side door panel where the lock connects that says vin #, info about the cars weight, paint, etc...i found 'upc' and then a code in format xxxx-xxxxxxx-xx i know they differ from car to car, but does that seem to be the correct format? I cant find ANYthing else information wise except for this sticker on the entire car. I already have flowmasters installed. Again id like to order tonight so if anyone can answer my questions before tomorrow that would be awesome.

Thanks for your help!

The computer code is on the computer. It's located in the passenger side kick panel.

I'd pass on the chip anyway. They don't do much for N/A cars.

passenger side kick panel? like if i open the passenger door...it would be...where? sorry i a noob when it comes to cars; and why should ipass on the chip? doesnt do a lot?

yea i have the money to get the t-lok, thanks :) however im still in the dark about where the stupid computer code is located. I have a huge manual for 94-98 mustangs, and the only thing it says is the information panel listed on the inside of the driver side door. im an idiot when it comes to cars.

Step 1: Open passenger side door
Step 2: Remove the door jams at the bottom of the door opening
Step 3: Remove passenger side kick panel (where the feet rest)
Step 4: Read the EEC code off of the computer tucked up in the recessed area

Like said before, the chip won't do you any good without a power adder (supercharger, turbo, NO2)........don't waste $350

diablo stage III sport chip - waste of money when you get a mail order chip steer clear even a dyno tune with chip is lucky to net 7rwhp and tq~ and if you do just HAVE to have a chip go with fordchip they are FAR superior to what you posted, and justin from SCT is very good also.

mac cold air induction - works good but only 6-7rwrhp and tq MAX so dont expect to feel anything from it.

new pulleys - you only need one, the crank pulley from ASP get a 25% underdrive

3.73 gears - definatly nice but here you need to ask a couple questions, if you plan to EVER go to the drag races and track race you need to upgrade to an 8.8 rear end, you can buy a brand new 8.8 rear end from ford with 3.73 AND a tlok unit (so both wheels spin) for 800 bucks~

if you keep the 7.5 it will cost you 200 for gear 200 for tlok unit (a must with a gear swap if you dont have one) and 250 install~ add that up nearly as much as a MUCH stronger 8.8 rear end already pre assembled. you could also have issues with install if a pro does not do it, its alot of hassel.

well i talked to some people at the local ford dealership as well as a tech from rpmoutlet; they gave me the green light on the chip (i guess in retrospect they would regardless) so i already bought the damn thing. The guy im getting to install all the parts has been working with fords, specifically mustangs, for 25years, so should be a smooth install. Thanks for all the help and input. Spose i should've researched a bit more before doing everything; however im an impulsive buyer :shrug:

hmm..well my warranty was up over a year ago; i dunno is the general concensus that i should send it back? its already been programmed for the 3.73 gears..i dunno if they'll accept it..bah

Too bad programming the chip on a 94-98 Mustang won't do anything for it, especially the speedo and odometer seeing how they are mechanical and not electronic. That was a load of BS they just sold you.

On a side note, yes the 8.8 rear end is stronger, but you have to figure in more than the intial $800. First off, those rear ends come with a different gear ratio, mostly setup for GT's. That means having a shop install your specified gears for another $250, plus the $200 on the gears maybe more, as well as the ring gear install kit for another $80. Just those alone are now close to $1300, and you don't have the rear end on the car yet.

The 7.5 rear can hold up to about 300-350 HP/Tq. You could also look into forged axles and stronger bell housing cover for added comfort.

98CobraClone said:
Step 1: Open passenger side door
Step 2: Remove the door jams at the bottom of the door opening
Step 3: Remove passenger side kick panel (where the feet rest)
Step 4: Read the EEC code off of the computer tucked up in the recessed area

Or look on your Passenger side door, there will be a white sticker with 4 letters/numbers on it. That's your code, unless FORD has flashed your EEC but usually if they do that then it's posted under your hood near the radiator. At least mine is.

Crap I just realized you have a 1998. I'm not sure if what I told you will still be true. Sorry I only worked on 99+'s.

Mustang_02 said:
Or look on your Passenger side door, there will be a white sticker with 4 letters/numbers on it. That's your code, unless FORD has flashed your EEC but usually if they do that then it's posted under your hood near the radiator. At least mine is.

Crap I just realized you have a 1998. I'm not sure if what I told you will still be true. Sorry I only worked on 99+'s.

Doesn't he need the chip for the gears though?

Didn't I just explain that the speedo and odometer are mechanical and not electronic? No, a chip won't to anything for him, he needs to get a 20 something or other toothed gear to put in there. GEFRacing has them. This will correct the speedo, but not the odomter. There is nothing to correct either of these chip-wise for the SN95's.

Like mentioned above, you might see an extr 7 HP/Tq. with a chip on a manual at his stage of the game. In my opinion, it is a waste to even put it in at this point.