Upholstery Glue For Foam Swap -- Advice

nurse

Jun 10, 2019
a curb or ditch
Hey all,
So a pressing issue I've had since I bought my mustang is that the driver's side seat foam has collapsed on the left, making driving somewhat uncomfortable. I've managed to get my hands on replacement foam from a salvage yard, but I have no idea how to seperate that foam from the upholstery since it's glued. I'd guarantee it's the same case for the seat in my mustang now, and I'm not quite sure what to do to seperate the two without causing substantial damage to the foam or the old fabric. Any advice?
I've been recommended acetone based spray, but that sounds like an excellent way to destroy the foam along with the glue.

Attachments

• foam.jpg
    foam.jpg
    224.6 KB · Views: 194
  • Sponsors (?)

On my 2000, the upholstery was attached to the foam with a few small hog rings and a Velcro strip in a couple of places...I can't tell from the photo if you might be looking at the Velcro strip, which looks very much like glue after many years. There are some videos on YouTube concerning the reupholster of our year(s) Mustang that show the Velcro being separated...one must be careful of it because it will pull away from the foam. Hope this helps.

On my 2000, the upholstery was attached to the foam with a few small hog rings and a Velcro strip in a couple of places...I can't tell from the photo if you might be looking at the Velcro strip, which looks very much like glue after many years. There are some videos on YouTube concerning the reupholster of our year(s) Mustang that show the Velcro being separated...one must be careful of it because it will pull away from the foam. Hope this helps.

Upon closer examination and gently separating a bit of the foam and upholstery, it definitely looks glued together. I'm sure they could gently be seperated but I don't think that's the safest way to go about doing this.

Attachments

• MVIMG_20190614_193528.jpg
    MVIMG_20190614_193528.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 172
I agree, in the second photo it looks like it was glued. Maybe a local upholstery shop can recommend a product ?
After about an hour i was able to gently remove the upholstery from the foam using a craft knife, there's still the layer of dry adhesive but the foam under it is still original shape, I figure an upholstery shop would be able to take it from there for actual fitting and perhaps cleaning it up for fitting.