Suspension Upper control arm bolts too short?

alutwon

Dec 10, 2020
Hi all, I just installed new steeda rear upper and lower control arms in my 89. Now i might just be a bit paranoid but the upper bolts on the axle side seem to be a little short. Everything threaded through fine and its all torqued down to 90 ft/lbs but the bolts are just barely through the end of the nut, as in i can feel the tip of the bolt sticking out but theres maybe half a thread i can feel. For you guys that have done this before is that normal? I'm probably just paranoid.

• Sponsors (?)

You typically want minimum of 2 threads to protrude. The bolts are typically made with a slightly reduced diameter a the tip to help with installation, so those first couple threads don't really hold 100%, so you'd like to be past them ideally.

Nylock nuts are slightly different. You'll want 3-5 threads past those to give the nylon insert something to hold onto if it does loosen up

Yea idk whats up the new arms are the same size as the old ones so i dont think anythingsl wrong, guess they are just like that. Like i said earlier i can feel a single thread poking out so it in there. I also used the maximum motor sports tool so i know the bushings are in correctly

Reactions: 1 user
Alright so apprently the stock bolts are only 80mm which ford thought was okay. I'm definitely going to upgrade to 90mm to be safe though. I figured I would post this just in case any one else has this problem. Thank you everyone for your help :)