UPR Clutch Quadrant - How much slop?

95BlackTan50

Oct 28, 2004
I'm finally getting close to putting together my T5 conversion kit together and with it seems to come a lot of questions. Here's an easy one. I assembled my UPR Clutch Quadrant onto my pedal assembly and there seems to be a lot of room for the quadrant to move around. Do I need some kind of spacer between the quadrant and the spring pin or will the quadrant position itself? The stock quadrant and adjuster were fat enough that there wasn't much space between them and the spring pins.

PedalsUPR.JPG

• Sponsors (?)

that is so weird, i did the same EXACT thing 20 mins ago. im just gonna leave it loose, cant do any harm, plus it can center itself. also my clutch cable works perfect with no adjuster and this quadrant just fyi

looking at your pic, your front mounting hole looks like way different than mine, weaker and maybe you should use a bushing or something here is a pic of mine

cant see too well but mike is equal thickness at the mounting points, yours looks machined down like 1/4 or less of the rest of the width on the front mount.

mines actually not a upr its this cheesy one
http://www.partshopper.com/images/small/st-quick.jpg

I did not get shims with my UPR single hook. However, I dont see that you need them. Here is why: you have preload on the cable. Ergo the quad does not move from where you center it when installing it (it self-centers itself a bit too). I ran without shims for a bit and went back and did add shims - the quadrant had not walked at all. The preload keeps it from sliding laterally (as observed on an installed pedal assembly).

Shim it if you want - otherwise I personally would not sweat it (you can check it in a couple weeks and see if it walked. With preload, it should not have).

Good luck.

Hey, thanks for all the replies. If I were to shim it, would I push it as far away from the spring clips as possible or should it be more centered? I guess to answer my own question I should use the stock adjuster to see where the center of the cable travel should be. I'm going to ask the guy that I bought it from tomorrow as well if there should be any spacers. I'd like to figure this one out when I can still work on it on my kitchen table instead of under the dash.

There was one piece that looked like a spacer in the kit but the inside diamater was too big. It fit into the firewall adjuster perfectly so I figured it must go there somehow. Thanks again for the suggestions.

With regard to the lateral adjustment of the quadrant, I would center the quadrant so the cable goes right down the pipe (through the middle) of the hole in your FWA. That is what matters the most IMHO.

yup, look at it after it's installed with the cable and try to line it up with the cable. My UPR tripple hook kinda stayed centered on its own. My Fiore quad came with a couple different sized nylon bushing/spacers to use.

I decided to put some washers in to shim the quadrant. I eyeballed it with the stock quadrant and it looks like 2 washers on the inside and 3 washers on the outside (aft) and 6 washers on the inside (forward) should do the trick.

UPR_Shims.JPG

I still need to route the cable to see if everything still lines up but it should be pretty close. Of course I had to disassemble the quadrant to get the new pedals in and then reassemble, but I never expected it to be easy. The good news is....

3Pedals.JPG

:banana: