*urgent* 2011 Mustang (no Cats) P2098 Code, Leave Soon On Road Trip

somesay

Aug 7, 2016
Hey there. I just ran into an issue with my new-to-me 2011 Ford Mustang that we just bought a couple weeks ago.

The last owners of it were kind of idiots and decided to take the catalytic converters out for more "performance", and added aftermarket mufflers so the exhaust sounded louder. We didn't know they took them out at the time of purchase and were somewhat rushed though it all but it's too late to go back on the deal. Anyways. The car originally threw catalytic converter inefficiency codes which makes sense as there was no efficiency to be had.

I bought an SCT X3 3015 tuner to hopefully turn off the rear O2's with the preloaded strategy tune on the device, as well as change the revs/mile due to aftermarket tires. The tune uploaded fine and the engine ran slightly louder, but I didn't think much of it. Today after about 70 miles I had a P2098 code come up, which is Bank 2 Post Catalyst Fuel Trim System Too Lean. While I could ignore the efficiency codes, this is something I'd rather not take chances on.

I was planning on leaving for a 2300 mile road trip back to school tomorrow, actually, so this timing is impeccable. I just need to know what I could possibly do about this so the car is safe to drive for that long of a distance and 6-8 hours of mountainous driving at a time.

Right now my idea is to disconnect the battery, wait until the fuel trims are reset, load the tune back (it's back at stock now and it ran louder and rougher, there's a slight buzzing coming from the engine when it's cruising, I'm really not sure about that), and drive it for a bit and see if the code comes back. I'm not sure if a custom tune from Bama could help at all to just ignore the rear sensors and run it at a stock fuel mixture, or if that's safe. I'm just a little out of ideas and out of time on it and would really appreciate any ideas or advice anyone has on it.

Best regards,
J

• Sponsors (?)

Cat-free exhausts usually tune to run rich since there is no fear of clogging cats. Running lean would be strange.

I'm not certain that I understand this statement. I get the portion where cat-less cars are often tuned rich but why would running lean be strange?

Hey there. I just ran into an issue with my new-to-me 2011 Ford Mustang that we just bought a couple weeks ago.

The last owners of it were kind of idiots and decided to take the catalytic converters out for more "performance", and added aftermarket mufflers so the exhaust sounded louder. We didn't know they took them out at the time of purchase and were somewhat rushed though it all but it's too late to go back on the deal. Anyways. The car originally threw catalytic converter inefficiency codes which makes sense as there was no efficiency to be had.

I bought an SCT X3 3015 tuner to hopefully turn off the rear O2's with the preloaded strategy tune on the device, as well as change the revs/mile due to aftermarket tires. The tune uploaded fine and the engine ran slightly louder, but I didn't think much of it. Today after about 70 miles I had a P2098 code come up, which is Bank 2 Post Catalyst Fuel Trim System Too Lean. While I could ignore the efficiency codes, this is something I'd rather not take chances on.

I was planning on leaving for a 2300 mile road trip back to school tomorrow, actually, so this timing is impeccable. I just need to know what I could possibly do about this so the car is safe to drive for that long of a distance and 6-8 hours of mountainous driving at a time.

Right now my idea is to disconnect the battery, wait until the fuel trims are reset, load the tune back (it's back at stock now and it ran louder and rougher, there's a slight buzzing coming from the engine when it's cruising, I'm really not sure about that), and drive it for a bit and see if the code comes back. I'm not sure if a custom tune from Bama could help at all to just ignore the rear sensors and run it at a stock fuel mixture, or if that's safe. I'm just a little out of ideas and out of time on it and would really appreciate any ideas or advice anyone has on it.

Best regards,
J

Invest in a replacement OEM exhaust or tuned after-market exhaust.

There's no off-the-shelf tune that is worth a rat's fart. They are only approximations.

The fact that it is running lean is a problem; obviously because the sensor detected it. Even more so since the car has no CCs- I would error on the side of running a little rich as a tuner since there are no CCs before I would choose to run lean.