USAF - Help Power Steering Hell

ALCON,

Thanks in advance for any input. Short version, backwoods road ... power steering hose blew, fragged pump and alt. Pump and alt replaced but hose is kicking my rear!!! 03 gt w/hydro boost

Got a replacement hose shipped, but can't install because it is missing a Teflon seal/washer. Tried to order the seal from Ford but they do not have a listing for the part I need. They want to charge me $70 for a part I already have that works fine. I just need the seal. Am I We Todd It?

I have lots of pics to post. First pic is new hose ... Second includes new + old hose ... Third is two fittings where the teflon seal needs to be.

:flag: Cheers

Attachments

• Hose full pic.jpg
    Hose full pic.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 133
  • Hose complete.jpg
    Hose complete.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 189
  • Sponsors (?)

more pics

I purchased some teflon seals or washers to replace the leaks at the rack/gear box. When I compared these to the fitting they were much smaller.

I went to Ford and explained my situation. They pulled up the exploded view, but it looked different than what I had (4 seals instead of my one). This sometimes happens they said possibly reused a similar diagram.

They want to sell me a new tube (seen in pic 2) for $70 when all I need is a $3 seal?? Does anyone have a source for an after market seal maker? Or can anyone tell me what term/part number I need so I can edumacate the dealer? Thanks

P.S. these power steering lines are a pain in the :nono:

Attachments

• too small.jpg
    too small.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 143
  • Part Number.jpg
    Part Number.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 183
Regarding the telflon washers. It is necessary to HEAT them in a bowl of water. Use the flared end of a socket extension to expand the washer. Once expanded, the washer will fit over the fitting. The washer will return to normal size once it cools.

This trick is in the Chilton's manual.

The Ford service manual calls out a special tool to expand the telflon washers.

I can say from first hand experience that the water heating method does work just fine.

Thanks for all the advice, just moved to a new location and the chilton was buried in a sea of boxes in the garage. I'll find it someday I guess.

I took a look at the new part in picture 2 that ford got in. It did have the seals on it already. The seal that connects hose in pic 1 to pipe in pic two was twice as thick.

Dealer said they can't order that one. FYI they want $70 for the pipe in pic 2.

The hot water trick worked great (although I did bust two seals until I got the right form).

Have not seen an O'Rileys out here yet, but it is good to know they carry those seals in different sizes so we can just match them up.

Thanks for all the advice, just moved to a new location and the chilton was buried in a sea of boxes in the garage. I'll find it someday I guess.

I took a look at the new part in picture 2 that ford got in. It did have the seals on it already. The seal that connects hose in pic 1 to pipe in pic two was twice as thick.

Dealer said they can't order that one. FYI they want $70 for the pipe in pic 2.

The hot water trick worked great (although I did bust two seals until I got the right form).

Have not seen an O'Rileys out here yet, but it is good to know they carry those seals in different sizes so we can just match them up.

O'Reillys just bought out Checkers west of the Mississippi. You can order their products online.