V8 and 4Cyl. T-5 SAME??

XXBULLETSXX

Mar 30, 2005
Kannapolis, NC
As mention in the title, I heard through the grapevine that the 4Cyl. T5's and the V8 T5's are both the same except the input shafts? Is this correct. If not, where's the best place to find a used T5?

I'm thinking of doing a C4 to a T5 swap in my 66 and I thought you boys here on the 5.0 forum would know the most about the T5's. So I need all your expertise! :D

• Sponsors (?)

No, see the chart, but it'll work.
t5identifier.gif

Attachments

• t5identifier.gif
    t5identifier.gif
    125.3 KB · Views: 47
Ok, so the gear ratios are different (which could be a cool thing), is there a strength difference between the V8 and the 4 banger?

Sorry if it seems like I'm beating a dead horse but it's hard to find a god deal on a V8 T5 and you can find the 4bangers for like $150 up. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to throw a 4 banger in my car because it's cheap and then tear it up. I would only like to do this once, but for as cheap as I can because my money tree is wilting. :nonono:

The 4 cyl is rated at 240 ftlbs and the V8 at 265-330 depending on the model. Several will say to stay away, others have run one with great sucess and no issues. If you have access to a very good 4cyl T5 and your not gonna pound on it daily or run it with slicks at the track, I say go for it. If it last a year, thats a year you have to save up for a good V8 version or somthing better.

TheBocSez said:
The 4 cyl is rated at 240 ftlbs and the V8 at 265-330 depending on the model. Several will say to stay away, others have run one with great sucess and no issues. If you have access to a very good 4cyl T5 and your not gonna pound on it daily or run it with slicks at the track, I say go for it. If it last a year, thats a year you have to save up for a good V8 version or somthing better.

You know, I never really thought about it that way before. You make a good point that if it gets me by for a year that gives me a year to find and get a V8 T5 and have it rebuilt.

Are all the dimensions on the two trannies the same? What I mean by that is if I go with a 4 banger T5 until I can find a V8 they should just swap out and be completely the same with regards to fitment right?

again, search button is your friend dude. learn to use it and it will love you. but to answer your question, you need a different pilot bearing. all other parts are interchangeable

Sweet, thanks for the link!

I found another shot at a V8 T5. My neighbors girl friend has a GT Fox body sitting behind their garage that's been there for 3 years. Apparently the previous boy friend owned the Fox body and just left it there. Now the girlfriends parents are sick of it sitting around and they can't find the old boy friend to come and get it. I'm trying to talk them into selling me the engine and the trans (with computer). Maybe if I offer them like $500 and I take the car off their property. I'll strip it down and haul it to a junk yard!

Wish me luck!

Euphoric306 said:
black interior by chance?

I'm not sure, but it doesn't matter now. My friend spoke with the father of the girlfriend and he said for $500 I could have the tranny only and I would have to come pull it. I would have sold you the interior for dirt cheap had I bought the whole car but they aren't selling the whole thing:(

Well now my work begins to snap this guy back to reality and get him to sell the tranny for a resonable price. What do you all think I should pay for it? I originally offered $200 through my friend but I think $300-350 would be a reasonable price if I'm pulling it and I'll probably have to have it rebuilt to ensure all the syncros are good.

What are your guys thoughts?

i got a t5 from pickapart for 150 and i had to pull it, i just needed some hard parts from the inside. f you're sure it'll need a rebuild AND you have to pull it yourself, i wouldn't pay him anythign over 200

If you are gonna pull and rebuild.....150-200 tops. You could do it yourself if you wanted, not that hard.

To answer your original question, these are the parts needed to change a 4-banger t-5 to a 5.0 t-5. I know this because I am almost done doing it to a 4-banger t-5

Countergear
1st gear
2nd gear
3rd gear
input shaft
inputer bearin retainer.

Mustang5L5 said:
If you are gonna pull and rebuild.....150-200 tops. You could do it yourself if you wanted, not that hard.

To answer your original question, these are the parts needed to change a 4-banger t-5 to a 5.0 t-5. I know this because I am almost done doing it to a 4-banger t-5

Countergear
1st gear
2nd gear
3rd gear
input shaft
inputer bearin retainer.

First things first, Mike what happened to your link to the girl in your avatar?:(

Secondly, thanks for the info! I don't know about you guys but I've had a really hard time finding a V8 T5. Not to mention finding someone to go through it for me. I'm really just wanting to open it up to ensure the gears are in good shape and to replace the syncros to make sure the shifts will be good.
Because I've had such a hard time finding a V8 T5 I'm sort of willing to pay a little more. I've found plenty of 4 bangers but I thought it would be better to go with a V8? Not to mention when I check in the classified section they normally go for about $500 and ebay has some for $500 up and then you still have to pay for shipping.

Mike, do you have to change the gears because their not as strong or just because their a different ratio?

Yes the reason the 4cyc T5 is weaker is because of their gear ratios. With the Numerically higher gear ratios is gives the engine more mechanical advantage...which usually leads to breaking things...that is why they are rated for the lower torque ratings...I would grab a cheap 4cyc T5 and use it and then if you don't like the gear ratios then find a blown 5.0 T5 which shouldn't be hard and use the guts out of it to get a 5.0 T5. I just rebuilt my T5 and it was extremly easy and I got 2 T5's from friends for free and used both of them to make 1 good one. All it cost me was the $160 for the rebuild kit. Goodluck and hope that helps.