Fox V8 Or V6 Turbo... Looking For 250-300hp Quick! & My Transmission Options

CRAYONS

Nov 6, 2016
I recently bought a 1986 V6-Essex Foxbody Vert & like the title says I'm looking to make about 300 Horses. I'm looking to make this a fun drift and street car for Drag races in mexico :) , but here's the issue.

The cars Engine got rebuilt and about 4k miles after the Transmission went out.
So my options are
1. Lexus 1UZ-FE w/ (Idk Throw tranny options my way)
2. Windsor V8 4.95 L (The Famous 5.0L) not sure what tranny is recommended
3. 600$ Ebay Turbo the v6 Essex (With good tune) & 9/10 I'll rebuild the internals of the turbo
Also note that the Essex can handle about 450 Horsepower on stock internals(From several Sources)
& Of Course try matching a transmission you think is good with whichever setup you "recommend".
Which option would you go for? or what option would you go with if it's not above.

If you have prices please include them if possible.

Five things to consider...
1. Transmissions are my weak spot & I lack information (Never going over 450 Horses!!!)
2. I don't care too much about your personal wants. I'm asking to get honest opinions with a balance of reliability & power @ reasonable prices.
3. I have to buy a Tranny no-matter what so.. Yea
4. I'm that guy who will drop a F20a in a Fox or a V8 in a Rx-7, because it'll make the car better so If you have better options let me know.
5. I've been recommended a rear end gear of 3.73 or 3.51 using the famous "Google Search" button

If there is any information that I left out feel free to let me know... I didn't select a budget to give people more variety, but consider the fact that I am a college student with a budget.

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

300hp is easily achieved via 302, grab Explorer motor from the JY change the cam and your done.

Yes turbo Essex, done. pick your eBay poison.

All things swap related are left up in the air for non ford options.

Trans. the auto AOD will handle 450hp you'll want a trans pack and shift kit installed with a converter to match the cam.
Standard t5 5 speed will survive if rolling in the gears, shock load kills them.

Those are the standard options a ton of car/manufacturers used the t5.

300hp is easily achieved via 302, grab Explorer motor from the JY change the cam and your done.

Yes turbo Essex, done. pick your eBay poison.

All things swap related are left up in the air for non ford options.

Trans. the auto AOD will handle 450hp you'll want a trans pack and shift kit installed with a converter to match the cam.
Standard t5 5 speed will survive if rolling in the gears, shock load kills them.

Those are the standard options a ton of car/manufacturers used the t5.

Thanks alot I've been seeing the same thing on t5's as you said... what would you say about a T56? I've been hearing those are a step up from the t5's but hear they are big and expensive and what not... I couldn't find accurate prices since they range so dramatically.(If you know inform me please)

T56 is about a 3-4K option with clutch etc. not cheap and overkill for only 450hp. A T5 with the proper upgrades will last a long time at that power level. Done correctly it's about a 1-1500$ option(can be done cheaper but with less durability). The v8 option is the easiest IMO. Can find lots of 5.0-5.8 liter options and there is a huge aftermarket for power upgrades.