Engine Vacuum system clean-up

BeaverMeat

Sep 4, 2020
Nanaimo
Did some search to no avail… looking for some clarification on cleaning-up the vacuum system. Keep in mind this engine is swapped into a Volvo 240. Had the engine rebuilt and the air-pump removed. Spent about 30+ hours reworking the mess of wiring harnesses from the initial swap 17 years ago… plus the man who did the recent work just slapped it back together. That’s all squared away… now, vacuum.

Engine is a 89, No air-pump or cats. According to this diagram:

1624810128732.jpeg

All I have to do is remove the TAD solenoids and the corresponding lines? Also, does the MAP sensor have to be connected? It never was in the first place.

• Sponsors (?)

89 mustang computer used a mass air meter so no MAP sensor, uses a BAP I think its called, no vac line but does plug into the wire harness. The sensors look similar. Just toss the TAD solenoid and associated vacuum line.

The whole system is kittywampus… the FPR was hooked up to the TAB solenoid ffs! No wonder I was having high idle and loss of power issues. A little pissed at the guy who rebuilt the engine. He did the hard stuff properly but slapped together everything else… well. It was a pain in the butt job. Pulling a squeezed-in 302 out of a 1981 Volvo 244 isn’t easy.

MAP to VAC should have a little note next to it that says (applicable to 86-88 Speed density cars only). With 1989 mass air cars, the MAP is actually a BAP and is measureing atmospheric pressure instead.

Reactions: 1 user