Valve Bodies Question

MSTGGT00

Nov 8, 2006
Bedford, VA
Alrighty, So I have an automatic, and it's boring me now. Performance just isn't good enough. I want to be able to shift it myself nicely.

So i'm digging through a catalog at the bodyshop where I work and it was mustangs unlimited I think, either way under the automatic transmissions section I found Vavle Bodies. Not very familiar with at all.

So I see AODE Full Manual Reverse Pattern Valve Bodies accordingly they are designed with performance in mind, "have a completely re-engineered fluid circuit(s) to eliminate inconsistent computer operations. Now the advantage of the AODE/4R70W transmissioncan be accesed by those racers without a computer! The "no flare" reverse manual body is complete and ready to install."

Blah blah, it goes on to say it requires fully manual shifting and no longer operates on automatic shifting allowing for higher line pressure and safe manual shifting of the automatic transmission.

Anyway, I have no idea esentially. I pretty much just want to be able to shift my automatic transmission manually (and safetly) and eliminate the automatic shifts.

Would this be what I'm looking for, or no?

• Sponsors (?)

Most people are going to recommend the j-mod for the valve body. I went this route, especially since the guy that came up with the j-mod is the same guy who designed the aod series of transmissions for ford. Anyway, when I manually shift my car with the j-mod, converter, and 4.10s it definately has some balls! Far different then when I first got the car. I think you can make a car with a relatively modest amount of horsepower feel and perform pretty impressively with these mods, but ultimately torque and horsepower are what makes the car get up and go. So basically you need one of two things: a nicely setup driveline with gears, converter, and valve body modification or an excessive amount of horsepower (ie blower, turbo, nitrous) to really have a "fun" car. As to the valve body, you can manually shift our valve bodies effectively especially after you open up the fluid circuits a little, but sometimes the auto feature is still nice to have. Just my 2 cents:D

Most people are going to recommend the j-mod for the valve body. I went this route, especially since the guy that came up with the j-mod is the same guy who designed the aod series of transmissions for ford. Anyway, when I manually shift my car with the j-mod, converter, and 4.10s it definately has some balls! Far different then when I first got the car. I think you can make a car with a relatively modest amount of horsepower feel and perform pretty impressively with these mods, but ultimately torque and horsepower are what makes the car get up and go. So basically you need one of two things: a nicely setup driveline with gears, converter, and valve body modification or an excessive amount of horsepower (ie blower, turbo, nitrous) to really have a "fun" car. As to the valve body, you can manually shift our valve bodies effectively especially after you open up the fluid circuits a little, but sometimes the auto feature is still nice to have. Just my 2 cents:D

I agree!

Alright so what exactly would you suggest? Specifc converted, and such. I basically have little time to invest in this, I have decent pockets right now. So what I am looking to do is know what parts I'm going to need to order and then have the installed.

Any ideas, maybe est cost?

Well, the cost break down kinda goes like this:
1. j-mod is basically free but you would have to pay someone to do it (labor). I had about $20.00 in parts and about $35.00 in fluid and the guy that did mine charged me $100.00.

2. If you have a handheld tuner, you can adjust the rpm the car shifts at and increase line pressure somewhat. If you are primarily interested in manually shifting the car this wouldn't be a must, but it allows you to maximize alot more perameters than just the transmission. ($299.99)

3. A set of rear end gears will really wake your car up, especially with the previously mentioned items. 4.10s seem to be the most widely used gear in an auto and that is what I went with. ($200.00 for the gears + about that much for the install=$400.00)

4. A high-stall converter is expensive, but of all the performance mods you add to your car this one will give you the biggest gain (except of course for a blower, turbo, or N2O) Expect to pay around $800.00 for a good one and about $250.00 to get it installed. You can expect about a 0.2 sec reduction in 60 ft. times and somewhere between 4 and 5 tenths in the quarter depending on traction which will definately be an issue with the items mentioned.

Speaking of Ratchet Shifters, does anyone make one for an 04? The only one I have ever seen for our cars is from B&M but they say it only works up to the 2000 model year??? I'm starting to wish I had gotten the SCT tuner too, since the diablosport software doesn't allow you to adjust part throttle shift points. What other cool stuff does that SCT tuner do for the auto cars compared to the diablosport?