valve body or shift kit?

amplifier28

Apr 16, 2005
I have a 1988 Mustang GT hatchback with an automatic transmission. I was told that a shift kit and a boost valve would be enough. I was suggested that Baumann was good. I have been suggested also to just buy a new valve body for my transmission. What are the pros and cons of each? Which would be better for a transmission with over 100,000 miles on it? An overhaul would be necessary of course. I plan to install the trickflow kit that consists of the intake, heads, cam, roller rockers, etc... in the future. Right now I have a Cobra intake, MAC shorty unequal length headers, two chamber Flowmaster mufflers, 70mm BBK throttle body, 76mm C&L mass air meter with powerpipe, K&N filter, 190 lph fuel pump. I will install Steeda lowering springs and their aluminum caster/camber plates, Hotchkis lower control arms and Bilstein shocks and struts next week. Which will be best, valve body or shift kit? Information greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

• Sponsors (?)

A valvebody would be better, more control over the shifting characteristics of the tranny, being able to hold 2nd, being able to turn OD on and off with a switch with certain models, and the option of full manual if you want.

You seem to be putting a lot of high dollar items on your stang, why look for the lower price on the transmission items?

You should also look into an auxillary cooler, a higher stall converter (lock up or non its up to you) a hardend 3/4 input shaft and an upgraded OD servo.

I was looking into the Lentech Automatics "Street Terminator" AOD valve body. I also want an "Edge 3000 rpm" stall torque converter. I want the converter to be a lock-up type converter. I would also buy a hardend input shaft. What is the purpose of the "OD servo"?

Use the shift kit, converter and cooler for now.

You put a valve body on a 100,000 mile trans, and it will be a pile of junk withing weeks.

I will overhaul the transmission with lentech's overhaul kit and install the valve body and torque converter at the same time along with a cooler of course. Again, what is the purpose of the OD servo? Which hardend input shaft is recommended if I want a lockup converter?

i would suggest looking at you options as far as a 5sp goes, the aod is a really crappy trans, and just a simple rebuild will not cut it, the cases that the clutches are and very weak in all but the latest of models (mid 93 change) all of the internals need to beefed up before it will hold any power, make sure u want a auto bad enough to go bucks in most cases a 5 5sp convo can be done for under 1000 bucks, and you have a ton more control, plus if you get a 6 speed or a 5sp with a very tall overdrive then you can put like 3.90 gears and stil cruise on the highway

The 5 speed conversion is a good idea to look into. The OD servo is one of the weakest parts of an AOD, it is usually the 1st thing to break, An upgraded one have a thicker band to hold up to more abuse. Although you should never shift into OD at full throttle.

Lentech street terminiatior is a great VB, I have one now and am extremely happy with it. The the hardened input shaft is a great idea, espically with a lock up converter. Edge is a top notch converter also.

If you go with the AOD, you sound like your on the right track.

I have a suggestion....get more opinions.

The LENTECH vb is great yes, that or shift kit is a must have item. You can get a daym nice shift out of the $49 baumann kit with total adjustability. I suggest a nice stall converter and hard input if you choose to stay with lockup.

As for the LENTECH rebuild kits....NO WAY IN HELL would I ever pay that much for a kit you can get half price at any trans shop. LENTECH uses kevlar clutches (alto red eagle) and they are notorious for being crap - they continue to use them, but oh well. I have seen them break apart like crackers under stress. THey are also designed for low wet conditions. But for argument sake - www.bulkpart.com has master kevlar kits for like $250 and all you have to do is add band/filter. SO don't beleive any hype from lentech, they are good at promoting thier good name for no good reason. Be smart, do your research.

Converters
Edge/PI/Cricle D converters are my favorite.

AOD might be expensive to build, but with the right converter and VB calibration, you will be mopping up the 5 speed guys easy. plus, if you already have an AOD, then half the battle is won, no conversion cost.

Oh, and I build reliable AOD's for under 1K easy! But, they get more expensive once you start swapping in the extra good stuff.

I agree totally with what silverfoxbody said. He saved me a lot of typing, so I will type something else.
I love hearing 5 speed guys bash on the AOD, and then getting spanked by one, or going for a ride in mine and saying how bad ass the tranny is. But, hey, that's just me.

8950HO said:
If you get a shift kit,stay away from Trans-Go.It shifts into OD at wide open throttle.Not good.

that is why-When doing the installation, You should leave that small little box "WOT-OD" not hooked up! ya will never have that problem-Like me! It doesnt have to be intslled, I love my Trans-go shift kit, Big difference and improvement in the AOD tranny. But then again-I have an EDGE 3000 stall converter, cooler and 4.10's to comliment it!:nice: :flag:

Anthony

Definitely go the valve body route, edge converter is good, hardened shaft, A+ OD servo, and a wider OD band if you can get one in there without spending a ton on modification. I wouldn't use Alto reds if it's primarily a street car. If you use regualar steels and clutches with a good vb, converter, cooler etc. then you should have a nice tranny that will work well and hang with 5spd. I like AOD's just fine, but I did the conversion cuz I love banging through the gears myself and they are easier to work on.

I might race the car maybe once every two or three months if any. I was thinking about purchasing a Baumann shift kit with a boost valve kit and their stock tranny overhaul kit along with an Edge 3000 RPM stall converter? Will this combination be ok? Any comments?

Get the valve body... You won't regret it!! Like mentioned, above, Lentech makes great VB's and there rebuild kits aren't nothing more than Alto Red clutches, Koleen steels and gasket/seal kit. Those can be purcahsed about anywhere trans parts are sold. But they do have some great VB's. But there are other companies that make decent VB's also. I have an Art Carr set-up and love it.

To make an AOD healthy, you need:

1.)good clucthes, either Reds or Blues,
2.)2" HD kevelar overdrive band,
3.)The "A" OD servo (Ford item) or nice after market one,
4.)hardened input shaft, (prefered one piece but loose lock up with it),
5.)shift kit or aftermarket VB(recomended)
6.)good converter!!!

These are the basics, and listed below are other items, that are recommended, (IMO), but optional..

Optional...(recomended)
1.) mechanical diode--it replace the one way roller clutch. This does add to the cost, since you have to get the reverse hub assembly and sun gear shell. But it depends on what year tranny you have also, later 92 & 93's and the AODE's came with it.
2.)replace the intermediate pressure plate with one from a 4r70w. That way you can step up from 3 to 4 intermediate clutches. (2nd gear basically)
3.)aftermarket pan to allow more fluid
4.)bigger cooler
5.)direct drive clutch upgrade kit. Can move up to 6 or 8 clutches in direct drive( 3rd gear)

Check out this site,, http://www.ford-aode.com/ They are pretty good for checking out parts. Plus have odered from them once when doing a stock rebuild on a buddies AOD. They were pretty good with service and shipped quick...

A well built AOD will run with any 5-speed any day. And allot of guys say swap to 5-speed, but a stock t-5 won't last behind a car with some power. And by time you up grade and make the swap you will have just as much in it, as doing the works to your AOD.

I can't afford to spend a lot of money right now. For now this car will be a street cruiser. Any comments on a Baumann shift kit with a boost valve kit and their stock tranny overhaul kit along with an Edge 3000 RPM stall converter? Will this combination be ok? What will I lose if I do not go with a Lentech's valvebody?

amplifier28 said:
I can't afford to spend a lot of money right now. For now this car will be a street cruiser. Any comments on a Baumann shift kit with a boost valve kit and their stock tranny overhaul kit along with an Edge 3000 RPM stall converter? Will this combination be ok? What will I lose if I do not go with a Lentech's valvebody?

Main diffference bewteen a VB and shift , will be be able to hold the gears to any RPM and the tranny won't shift into OD. The only way OD can work is if you swtich it on. I never had a shift kit, so can't really say, I went straight with a good valve body. Not sure about the shift kits, but with a valve body TV cable adjustment is easy. Just make sure that the TV is all the open at WOT.. Don't have to set it like stock with a guage and all...

Had a buddy with a blow 347 use a shift kit. .The shift kit was OK, but wasn't enough for his combo. Clutches were getting burnt, from not enough line pressure. Popped a piston in the motor and redid the tranny while it was out and thats when the tranny builder noticed that. Put a Lentech VB and was sone with it. Before selling the car, it ran a best of 10.50's with slicks and 10.80's on Mickey T drag radials. But he did get the MAC daddy of VB from lentech. He had the brake, full manual and all of Lentechs bells and whistles they put ina VB.. It ran like $700 but you can get one for about $350 for what you want. The one I have cost about $350-$400..

If you tranny shifts good now, I say get the VB($350-$400), harden inputshaft($150) and converter($350 on up) for now. Depending on what you buy for a converter, you can be done for about $800-$1000 and have a decent AOD. Then when its start slipping break down and put the other stuff in in while it is tore down...