Valve guide replacement

stevesLX

Nov 12, 2006
cincinnati
As most of you are aware I have been having valvetrain noise ever since I put my motor back together 4 weeks ago. So with no results after replacing lifters and pushrods and rockers I am going to spend more money and replace the valve guides. I ask myself why and I answer because I dont know what else could be causing this noise. I had new seals put in and a 3 angle valve job done along with .007 taken off the heads. I have tried shorter and longer push rods and shims also and I still have noise. Can I replace the valve guides myself or do I need to take it back to the machine shop? These are factory heads on 302.

• Sponsors (?)

As most of you are aware I have been having valvetrain noise ever since I put my motor back together 4 weeks ago. So with no results after replacing lifters and pushrods and rockers I am going to spend more money and replace the valve guides. I ask myself why and I answer because I dont know what else could be causing this noise. I had new seals put in and a 3 angle valve job done along with .007 taken off the heads. I have tried shorter and longer push rods and shims also and I still have noise. Can I replace the valve guides myself or do I need to take it back to the machine shop? These are factory heads on 302.

I need to know this also. How hard is it to do valve guides?

u need to take the heads off, take dissamble them, take out the valves and all that good stuff. Depending on what kind of guides you want to put in depends on if you can maybe do it yourself but I wouldnt count on doing it yourself tho. You can put in normal guides in or put in bronze liners which are real thin but alot easier to install then the other kind but still need certain tools to put them in. I would have a shop do it ONLY when you thats the problem for sure or just start saving up for some GT40's or something, you can find them for 300 bucks or less.

I havent seen any of your threads so idk of the sound ur talking about. It sounds like it would be a waste of time and money though, I dont see how guides would make a sound, if they were worn you would be having alot of blue smoke at startup and oil burning problems. Post a link on one of ur threads about it

Maybe include one of ur other threads and that will help.

This is strictly a machine shop task. Oem guides are simply holes in the head. New ones require drilling the giude/hole oversize and pressing in a new sleeve/guide with the correct inside diameter. It could be done at home, but you need allthe tools and some skill.