Valvetrain adjustment ?????'s

So it looks like I will have a few days off and figured i would try my hand at valvetrain adjustment alone. Good or Bad Idea? The only way I know how to get them just right is to remove the valve covers, crank it, and let the oil fly. Now I'm sure that someone is going to reply and ask either who gave me this suggestion, but a very wise gearhead said "thats how I do them all". atleast they tell me he's wise. Anyone know of a surefire way to install the roller-rockers without having to readjust after putting it all back together again?Most of my info is in the sig except for 14 degrees advanced timing, 93 octane. If any more info is needed I can gladly supply. Thanks alot for reading.

• Sponsors (?)

So it looks like I will have a few days off and figured i would try my hand at valvetrain adjustment alone. Good or Bad Idea? The only way I know how to get them just right is to remove the valve covers, crank it, and let the oil fly. Now I'm sure that someone is going to reply and ask either who gave me this suggestion, but a very wise gearhead said "thats how I do them all". atleast they tell me he's wise. Anyone know of a surefire way to install the roller-rockers without having to readjust after putting it all back together again?Most of my info is in the sig except for 14 degrees advanced timing, 93 octane. If any more info is needed I can gladly supply. Thanks alot for reading.

Make sure the valve is all the way closed first. Then set that rocker arm to ZERO lash. You then crank the lock nut down 1/2 a turn. Then crank the poly lock down and your done.

.........The only way I know how to get them just right is to remove the valve covers, crank it, and let the oil fly. ..........

That is the way things were done back in the day. I suppose it works but I've never done it on anything other than a flat tappet cam.

The procedure the Modular2V is correct. The two keys are 0 lash and lifter on the basecircle. You determine 0 lash by spinning the PR as you are turning the poly lock by hand. Once you've done a couple you will be able to feel the point of 0 lash with out turning the PR. Just make sure the set screw is backed out baout even wiht the top of the lock.

The second important spec is to make sure the cam is in the base circle. There are many ways of doing this. I've found the easiest way for me is to set the rockers in place and turn the motor over by hand watching the valves. Once the intake closes you are on the compression stroke (just make sure you are still at 0 lash on the intake). Turn the motor another 45 degrees or so and adjust both valves.

:)Absolutely top notch fellas. I couldn't have wished for more insightful and thought out answers. I am very thankful for you answering my thread i think i got a hold on the whole thing now so here I go and I'll post my results. Again thanks so much.