Versailles bearing design, rotor flange thickness and tire rub

R100RT

Founding Member
Nov 27, 2000
Sonora, CA
Stangers,

I am looking at either Mustang Steve’s Cobra brackets or the Explorer setup. Either one requires the stock axel flange, and outer seal to be pressed off. Neither brake kits use a seal in the bearing retainer. Why did Ford use a seal in the bearing retainer? Do modern replacement bearings come sealed and that makes the outer seal redundant? What is the part number for sealed bearing?

My right rear tire rubs on occasion. I think this is because the springs are bent or the pads are off. While researching this problem, I found a web site showing the Versailles flange thickness, part that goes between wheel and axel, at .330. Typical drum brake flange thickness is around .150. That got me to thinking about machining some of the outer side of the rotor flange. Before I do, I want to compare the flange dimension against some other Ford rotors I have. What do you think?

• Sponsors (?)

I'm sorry I can't answer all of your questions. I don't know much about Mustang Steve’s Cobra brackets or the Explorer setup. I can tell you the my Versailles axle has an inner seal that is pressed into the axle tube, and the outer seal. The bearing is also the sealed type that are pressed onto the axle and have the retainer ring that is also pressed on.

My rear tires are not close to rubbing the fenders. I have 235 60 15 on the rear. It does look like my left rear tire sticks out a bit more than the right does. Does your tire rub on the outer fender or the inner fender. What size tires?

If you look here, you will see what the Versailles bearings and seals should look like. At least it is what mine look like.

Mustangs Plus*::*Search results

I'm running 225/50/16 on a crager wheel with 4 7/8" offset. The right rear tire hits on the outside.

I realy don't see the reason for the outer seal if the bearing is sealed. Maybe somebody else does.

Thanks,
Eric

My Magnum 500 wheels have 4 1/4 offset.

How bad does it rub? You could always raise the rear of the car slightly. This can be done by longer shackles. If you do this the shackles may be visible from behind the car. You can also use the ones they sell for the front spring eye bushing and then you wouldn't see them.

I thought the same thing that you do about all the axle seals.

I think from what I have read and been told, the outer seal that has the 4 holes in it for the retainer/caliper bracket bolts, is more or less to keep debris and dirt out of the axle tube.

A couple of hot rod guys I have met say they don't use them. I just did since they only cost a couple bucks. I'd rather be safe than sorry.