Vert Quarter Window

89oem

Mustang Master
Dec 18, 2013
my quarter windows stopped working, the motors ran but not the windows, figured it was the motor gear drive bushings... went to autozone and picked up a pack of the 3 nylon bushings.... had to go across the street to advance for the second "help" pack each store had one 3 pack Lol......

after pulling the seat and taking out the 4 screws that hold the interior panels it was a snap unplug the motor takeout 3 bolts holding motor...

opened the gear casing 1 screw and 3 bolts and found this mess
quarter window motor.JPG

pulled out the window gear and plastic gear/bushing housing - cleaned it all up, allot of new grease new bushing (they fit really tight - did the half way in and push drive gear into the plastic gear together as an assembly then insert it back into housing...more grease....

aaaaaaaaandddd The windows work again!!

• Sponsors (?)

My passenger side quarter window doesn't move up or down but you can hear the motor running. Is that what these bushings do when they go bad? I have to force the window up or down while the motor is running. Forcing it up and into the correct position is the worst.

exactly, thats it..

its easy do both sides... ignore all the internet "replace everything in there" and just pull the motors, clean out all the grease and plastic shrapnel that were the bushings, i used allot of paper towel, toothpicks for metal and plastics gear teeth and a few qtips for making it easy....

here is the part you need its just 'help' stuff for a couple bucks...there are three semi clear barrel shaped plugs in the pack.. theses are what get chewed up...

1 pack per side

on the interior side panels i just pulled the seat belt out real far and laid the panel in middle of floor with belt still connected...

if you need guidance just post back here...
Tom

tmp.jpg

i found the easiest way to pull the white plastic gear drive housing was lightly use regular pliers around the center plastic hub as the outside of it is the gear mate to the motor... youll see it when you pull the plastic housing...

i had read that but wasnt sure how the white plastic gear piece would hold up to the steel nuts vs the nylon bushings.... good to know its not an issue...

i had read that but wasnt sure how the white plastic gear piece would hold up to the steel nuts vs the nylon bushings.... good to know its not an issue...

Of all the motors that I have used nuts in the center gear was metal. Only the 3 ground up bushings were plastic.
I also found the easiest way to clean out all that mess is to blast it out with a can of brake or carb cleaner.
Clean it, dry it and pack it with nuts and grease and your ready to go.

Last edited:
odd my motors are definitely original in fact i smiled when i saw the united technologies and 5-29 and 6-1-89 build dates on them. im certain the drive mechanism that runs against the motor drive and transfers the motion to the window drive gear via the 3 nylon bushings is plastic, i just had it out yesterday. you can clearly see it still embedded in the housing with grease and bushing fragments... I had removed window drive gear at this point...the base of the window drive gear is the odd shaped piece beside the motor and is flipped so you can see how the odd shaped base has a place for the bushings to mate with.. i was going to use carb cleaner but wasnt sure what 25 yr old plastic was made from and didnt want to cause it to slowly breakdown from using the wrong cleaner...

Those window motors are on the list of items for when I am at the JY. I always pull a few as spares. They rarely go bad- it's the plastic bushings that wear down- and the aftermarket China made ones are like everything else made in China. Crapola.

Items I pull as spares in JY

window motors
Starter solenoid
IAC valves
EGR Valve
clocksprings
window buttons
Power door actuators
Light/hazard/top switch
hood prop clip- metal one from 85 and older
various plastic knobs and interior pieces
TV cable- new ones are $100

Items I pull as spares in JY

window motors
Starter solenoid
IAC valves
EGR Valve
clocksprings
window buttons
Power door actuators
Light/hazard/top switch
hood prop clip- metal one from 85 and older
various plastic knobs and interior pieces
TV cable- new ones are $100

You're lucky, all the local junk yards I've been to had nothing. I was lucky they had 2 doors with latches I needed so I could actually lock my doors (old ones were bent to hell, idk how)