Very bad vibration from clutch pedal after hitting a bump

Tate625

Aug 9, 2019
Nebraska
I was going 10-15 mph down an alleyway when I hit a bump I did not see. There was a very solid sounding hit and slight scrape. The next day I was driving and my clutch pedal started to vibrate rapidly in neutral and every gear, getting worse the higher the rpm’s are. I checked underneath the car and there were no signs of any damage to the transmission or any clutch components that I could slightly see.

Is it possible that a bump could upset the flywheel and clutch disk enough to cause the vibration? Perhaps the input shaft into the transmission? If not maybe I’m just bad at driving and wore it out, but it was fine one day and very bad the next.

We replaced the clutch ourselves about 4 months ago and this is the first problem we have had with it.

• Sponsors (?)

Hi,
I’d think it unlikely that you would have damaged the flywheel, as you’d first hear it in your ring Gear during cycling of the Starter, and collision to the lower Bellhousing of that degree would be very evident upon inspection. Check again, carefully, & these::
1) I’m assuming the Starter works ok and you have no issues when turning the motor over when starting? Ring gear would likely bend if flywheel did.
-The Clutch worked OK until the next day, so you drove away with no issues, they showed up the following day?
If the above is true, did you use reverse as the last gear when you last parked the car that day?
2) If struck hard enough, a collision to the bell may have broken the rubber transmission mount to the crossmember, or broken it’s Bolt heads off, which would give you a pulsating feeling at the pedal, as the transmissions no longer affixed solidly..
3) Check the crossmember, itself. It’s Bolts.
4) Check the Bolts for the bell for presence and torque, verify the bell remains tightly seated squarely to the engine.
5) Jack up the Car, secured on adequate stands, E-Brake on, tires chocked, Have someone actuate the Clutch (Engine Off) and Check for proper operation of the Clutch fork, the cable for smooth operation.
Start the car & have them cycle the clutch, do you see or feel a vibration in the clutch fork?
6) Ball detent pivot may also have separated if the Trans was kicked that high up. Check parts for play or misalignment.
7) You would have to strike the flywheel with the Clutch disengaged to break the pilot bearing, half as likely with clutch engaged, but possible. More unlikely if working ok the previous day after the incident occurred.
8) Check for damage to the harmonic balancer or pulley on the front of the motor.If broken or separated by direct or indirect force, it can transmit a large vibration to the pedal.
9) Look at the Clutch fork, Ford ran a lead weight inside the Fork to reduce vibration of the throwout bearing operation to the pedal, maintain consistent pedal smoothness. If you had one in there then, and now it’s gone, that may be what you feel..
10) You can back off on the Transmission Bolts so there’s a gap between the motor & trans, does it come back with no resistance?
Good luck!
- John

I was going 10-15 mph down an alleyway when I hit a bump I did not see. There was a very solid sounding hit and slight scrape. The next day I was driving and my clutch pedal started to vibrate rapidly in neutral and every gear, getting worse the higher the rpm’s are. I checked underneath the car and there were no signs of any damage to the transmission or any clutch components that I could slightly see.

Is it possible that a bump could upset the flywheel and clutch disk enough to cause the vibration? Perhaps the input shaft into the transmission? If not maybe I’m just bad at driving and wore it out, but it was fine one day and very bad the next.

We replaced the clutch ourselves about 4 months ago and this is the first problem we have had with it.
Hi,
Does this vibration transmit into the Car, overall, e.g; Hand on steering wheel it can also be felt? Do a dual mass Flywheel upgrade with the recent clutch install?
If so, collision may have separated it.
Need more input to isolate this anomaly, willing to help...
Cheers!
-John