Vin, drivetrain discrepancy

6banger

Apr 20, 2019
Texas
So Ive had my 66 coupe for 5 years. Researching vin on door says inline 6. That vin didnt match title. Vin on shock tower does. Says 289 2v. Car currently has IL6 and 3 speed auto, 4 lug axles, wheels. I found the clutch pedal tucked up under the carpet. Wt actual f? Who would do this?

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Guilty

I tucked my 65's clutch pedal up under floor mat for the half year it was an automatic.
I have installed a clutch pedal in the 77 Cobra in anticipation of a a 5 sp at some future point
Just feel lucky that you now have options:D

real hot rods supposed to have three pedals, right!?! :nice: :cool: :crazy::coff:

So dont let it bother you, and post a picture of your car.

Straight 6, stainless steel headers into dual exhaust, 2 barrel Motorcraft carburetor, Edlebrock air cleaner. Car was modified from stock drivetrain before I got it.

Attachments

• 20190319_175401.jpg
    20190319_175401.jpg
    271.6 KB · Views: 67
I fought with mystery vacuum leak for over a year. Finally when carb flooded i saw gas at base of 1 barrel to 2 adapter base. I had changed that gasket previously with grey felt gasket material ftom 'zone. After replacing with thicker cork/rubber composite runs like a charm. Idles so smooth like its off.

Scott Drake wood steering wheel, autozone house brand Equis instruments, B&M shifter I dislike...hole where new stereo will go tonite!

Attachments

• 20190319_175327.jpg
    20190319_175327.jpg
    345.3 KB · Views: 69
Hmm, if its that way around then it is possible there is something funny going on. While someone MIGHT possibly swap a L6 into what was originally a v8 car to get it back on the road, there is no way they are going to swap the steering and suspension pieces. The ONLY way that happens is if the car was at some point stripped down to a shell(possible but not too likely unless a restoration happened at some point). More likely is that there was some issue with the original L6 title and someone grafted the vin on the fender apron in from a wrecked or rusted v8. check under the apron to see if there is evidence someone welded in the v8 VIN into the apron(or if they replaced the apron entirely). Of course none of that necessarily explains the clutch pedal....but that may be something else entirely, prep for a 3/4/5 speed swap would be my guess.

update: after much hunting around for a replacement ring and pinion gear (was giving me a "whoa whoa whoa" sound on deceleration) I found a complete rear end with the correct 2.83 ratio for the automatic that's in there now. that should lower my rpms at highway speeds. i still plan to go back to manual, just trying to figure out best option for the 6 200 thats under the hood. I remember my first new car was a 1977 Granada with the inline 6 and 4 speed overdrive manual tranny. That car gave me fantastic mileage yet decent performance for the 6 cylinder. I'd really like that tranny if it will fit. btw new ring and pinion set is not available for a 3.20 rear end.