VT Stage 2 Cams (emissions)

BlackenedSVT

Jan 18, 2004
New Jersey
My summer project is going to be buying (and installing myself) some 3.73 gears, SCT X-cal 2 and some VT Stage II cams w/ springs. I know there is a wait on the cams, so im not worried about that, im just wondering with my set up, how much hp do you think the cams will give me?

More importantly, can stage II cams with my current set up pass Jersey emissions? If not, do you think it will if i put the stock H-pipe back on it just to do the inspection with? I dont really want to do that shady pay the dude to pass the inspection thing so.... but at the same time i know the stage I's will pass inspection, but i really want to stay NA and get the IIs!! :)

What will be my new red-line with stage II VT Cams? Im also debating on getting new custom gauges, so im wondering what i should have the red-line sticker at when they are made...

• Sponsors (?)

generally you get gains of 30-35 rwhp according to VT. But I bet the is based off having LT's and a 75mm tb and plenum, who knows for sure though. I would guestimate you to gain 30 rwhp from it with a dyno tune though.

As far as NJ emissions.. I couldn't tell ya, the cams will make it harder to pass though, but I've never done a single emissions tests so I dunno what they involve :)

Stage 2's go up to 6500 rpms, I dunno if everything else will like 6500 rpms very well, but you'll be shifting at 6200-6300 for sure

UDTBadkarma said:
My summer project is going to be buying (and installing myself) some 3.73 gears, SCT X-cal 2 and some VT Stage II cams w/ springs. I know there is a wait on the cams, so im not worried about that, im just wondering with my set up, how much hp do you think the cams will give me?

More importantly, can stage II cams with my current set up pass Jersey emissions? If not, do you think it will if i put the stock H-pipe back on it just to do the inspection with? I dont really want to do that shady pay the dude to pass the inspection thing so.... but at the same time i know the stage I's will pass inspection, but i really want to stay NA and get the IIs!! :)

What will be my new red-line with stage II VT Cams? Im also debating on getting new custom gauges, so im wondering what i should have the red-line sticker at when they are made...
Stage 1's pass inspection eh? Sounds like a good thing for me. If only i could somehow pass with LT's in the future :(

One of the guys I go to school with that is from Jersey was talking about emissions there and was saying that now its just the OBD test and and maybe a visual inspection. From what he was saying, you may be able to pass just because after the install and tune are done, if you have cats and you dont have the CEL on, you just may very well pass. That is ofcourse IF that is all true. I could see some validity to his statement though, as there are states that do testing this way; some use a dyno and analyze the exhaust and others just check for codes and do a visual.

Dragstr05 said:
One of the guys I go to school with that is from Jersey was talking about emissions there and was saying that now its just the OBD test and and maybe a visual inspection. From what he was saying, you may be able to pass just because after the install and tune are done, if you have cats and you dont have the CEL on, you just may very well pass. That is ofcourse IF that is all true. I could see some validity to his statement though, as there are states that do testing this way; some use a dyno and analyze the exhaust and others just check for codes and do a visual.
I just took my 04 Lexus through last week and they Dyno tested it. They dyno'd my mustang last time i took that through also. NJ is the second hardest state to pass emissions in after Cali. My neighbor used to work for DMV but left for a Corrections job so my hookup is gone :(

droptopponynj said:
I just took my 04 Lexus through last week and they Dyno tested it. They dyno'd my mustang last time i took that through also. NJ is the second hardest state to pass emissions in after Cali. My neighbor used to work for DMV but left for a Corrections job so my hookup is gone :(

Well I guess that idiot didnt know what he was talking about. Im not from Jersey so I dont know anything about their testing. I know when I move back to VA after school I'm moving just far enough south where there is no emissions test to begin with so I dont have to worry about it. Lucky for me VA doesnt do emissions statewide.

well gains are going to vary I would expect about 25hp or so. may get more but who know. I think 25 would be min.

I think if I were you and actually had to pass sniffer emission I would research that one though. stage one cams will still give you good power and will most likely pass for sure. I would want to find some fellow NJ person running stage II's. maybe call vt and see if they have any customers out that way running the stage II's

when I was pondering on doing the N/A thing I was going to try the stage II's but I don't have to pass emissions so I just never got to the bottom of this question so to speak.

^so if they blow your car up on the dyno can you sue them? Or make them pay for it? I would flat out refuse unless they agreed to pay lol.

No idea on passage on emessions....but they sure as heck are going to hear them. And no CARB #s (if applicable)