Want a carb'd late model mod motor for your classic?

• Sponsors (?)

A good question. I know what you're thinking... "Why do a mod motor at all, especially if you're gonna carb it?", right? Well, there might be some good reasons, like mod motors make good power, mod motors are different, mod motors can be found for cheap used, a new mod motor is about the same cost as a new rebuilt/assembled pushrod motor.

Now, that said, say you're thinking "ok, I want a mod motor, but why carb it?", then I think there are plenty of good reasons, starting with NO COMPUTER NECESSARY! That means no extra wiring and no extra sensors. Also, NO EFI PLUMBING NEEDED! No return line to the tank, no rails, etc. And finally, GET THAT VINTAGE LOOK! EFI intakes and manifolds are mostly ugly and non-symetrical. You get to run a traditional air clean, which could mean a nice Shelby style finned version, or a an classic shaker set up.

:shrug:

Mod motors are bigger than a boss 429 and weigh more than a 351C, the biggest benefit is that you can get all that extra size and weight with less displacement than the 289!

;-)

So what kind of power can you get from a stock 2V-281 longblock with a carb on it? I just assumed the little/big 281-2V made its power via the computer.

They sure are purty tho...

FRONT_LH1.jpg

Agreed, but the motor in that picture will stick out of the hood of an F350, wont be much "tucking"!

EDIT: Oh, and before I seem to become some sort of mod-motor-hater let me say I am only disrespectful to the 2V-4.6, I have the 3V in my current daily driver, and owned a 4V-4.6 for almost a decade, and driven a blown 5.4 for over 1,000 miles. Those latter mills would be awesome in any Stang.

DarkBuddha said:
A good question. I know what you're thinking... "Why do a mod motor at all, especially if you're gonna carb it?", right? Well, there might be some good reasons, like mod motors make good power, mod motors are different, mod motors can be found for cheap used, a new mod motor is about the same cost as a new rebuilt/assembled pushrod motor.

I can appreciate mod motors especially since there are some carb setups for them now, but I tend to disagree with the cost. A new mod motor is, from what I've seen, about 60-120% more expensive than a comparable pushrod.

I would consider a 32v carbed Navigator engine for my '68, but not with that funky dual quad pseudo tunnel ram. I even had thoughts of fabricating an aluminum single quad/single plane manifold.

Too bad there isnt a modular 427. You could dress it up to emulate an SOHC 427 :D.

Anything that can be done with a carb can be done BETTER with fuel injection if you know what you are doing. If I was going to go to all the trouble of a Mustang II front suspension to get a mod motor in one of my Mustangs it sure wouldn't have a tunnel ram looking carb setup on it, in fact the only two cars I will ever own with carbs are my T-Bird and Shelby.

You know, I saw this set-up recently and thought it was pretty neat. I actually have plans of doing the mod motor in my vert project. The idea is getting much stronger with more options for intakes. It friggin' looks like a boss 429 sitting there :) I love it. Dare to to be different!

65ShelbyClone said:
I can appreciate mod motors especially since there are some carb setups for them now, but I tend to disagree with the cost. A new mod motor is, from what I've seen, about 60-120% more expensive than a comparable pushrod.
I haven't shopped new mod motors other than looking at new take-outs such as Kar Kraft sells. They've got '04 2 valve motor for $2000, which seems comparable to your basic assembled 302 with all new parts (except for rehab'd block and heads), right? Don't get me wrong, you can rebuild a motor cheaper than that, but there aren't many places you can buy OEM quality already assembled motor for that kind of money.

I was just thinking about this yesterday. Putting a car aside and build it slowly. Put in a fatman front end to fit a mod motor, preferably a 5.4. Then slapping a turbo or two on it. But carbed would be way different and easier!! But 600 bucks ? Not much of a market I guess though.

DarkBuddha said:
I haven't shopped new mod motors other than looking at new take-outs such as Kar Kraft sells. They've got '04 2 valve motor for $2000, which seems comparable to your basic assembled 302 with all new parts (except for rehab'd block and heads), right? Don't get me wrong, you can rebuild a motor cheaper than that, but there aren't many places you can buy OEM quality already assembled motor for that kind of money.

That was for the Explorer pull-out? If its the same as a GT 2V engine, then I cant argue. $2000 is cheap for a new mod motor, but I cant help but wonder why its so cheap.

The GT-40 5.4 on the other hand is a mere $44,500.

DarkBuddha said:
Hey Bob, check the link I posted when I started this thread.
I did. All I see is Kar Kraft's complete engine package, along with promises of an upcoming PROPRIETARY "Cyklone" ignition system. How much is that gonna run, and where do you get replacement parts? :(
I had HEARD MSD was working on a standalone ignition system for the mod motors, but you were looking at $1000-$1500 JUST for the ignition... There's no distributor provision at all on the mod motor, so you're looking at a crank trigger, coil packs, and a computer control box. Doesn't seem to find in with the carbureted, KISS approach to me... :shrug: :damnit: