Build Thread Want To Blow 5 Years And $50k On A Foxbody? Step By Step Instructions Inside!

• Sponsors (?)

Lol. Thanks guys. When I asked 3 of my neighbors to come by and help me out with something, you should have seen the look on their faces when I asked them to help me get the car on it's side. They were convinced that my wooden contraption would surely collapse under the weight of the car body.

First we had to move the car from the side of the garage to the center, so there would be room to flip it 90 degrees. For some reason, all the weight seemed concentrated on the left rear side of the car. My neighbor, Mike, was the one on that corner and he had a hard time lifting it. It was the perfect time for me to pull the line "not the first time Mike couldn't get it up" :rlaugh:.

After we readjusted ourselves to account for the heavy left rear corner, we shuffled the shell into the middle of the garage. I then had them grab the front middle and rear and lift up on the car so it would pivot on the radius. Luckily, Mike had no issues getting it up this time. I was standing on the other side making sure the car wasn't going to tilt past the 90 degree mark and onto its roof. I easied it into place and the shell was sitting comfortably on it's side. My neighbors are still convinced that they are going to hear a loud crash one day and see a Mustang laying on it's roof. That will not happen though. I built an A-frame structure on the back side of the rotisserie, so this bad boy isn't going anywhere.

Started stripping the undercoating off the bottom chemically. Man, this is going to be a long and painful process. There is a lot of goo underneath this damn car. Pics to come later on in the week as I make more progress.

Started stripping the undercoating off the bottom chemically. Man, this is going to be a long and painful process. There is a lot of goo underneath this damn car. Pics to come later on in the week as I make more progress.

And you're gonna post the pictures before you clean up,.....Mr. OCD?
We'll forgive the mess,..... honest. It'll be the only way you'll convince me that you dont have a (How did Dave put it?.........a "Shirtless Malaysian kid getting paid .50 a day" to do the work.)

And you're gonna post the pictures before you clean up,.....Mr. OCD?
We'll forgive the mess,..... honest. It'll be the only way you'll convince me that you dont have a (How did Dave put it?.........a "Shirtless Malaysian kid getting paid .50 a day" to do the work.)

I do all the work, the shirtless Malaysian gets paid .50 a day to clean up the mess (before pictures get taken, of couse).

Rubberized undercoating SUCKS. There really is no easy way to remove this gunk. I started doing it chemically, and then realized all that does is make it a tacky mess. Wire wheels get gunked up within minutes. I finally resorted to using a oscillating tool with a scraper blade on the end to scrape up the majority of the mess. It's making quick work, in my opinion. I'll follow that up with a knotted high-speed wire wheel and then a paint removing disc. Should hopefully get the job done.

I also bought some POR 15 Marine Clean and Prep and Ready to give the underside a final cleaning before paint. I hear their prep products work very well. We shall see!

Camera is away on warranty repairs, but I'll have more pictures once it's back.

Rubberized undercoating SUCKS. There really is no easy way to remove this gunk. I started doing it chemically, and then realized all that does is make it a tacky mess. Wire wheels get gunked up within minutes. I finally resorted to using a oscillating tool with a scraper blade on the end to scrape up the majority of the mess. It's making quick work, in my opinion. I'll follow that up with a knotted high-speed wire wheel and then a paint removing disc. Should hopefully get the job done.

I also bought some POR 15 Marine Clean and Prep and Ready to give the underside a final cleaning before paint. I hear their prep products work very well. We shall see!

Camera is away on warranty repairs, but I'll have more pictures once it's back.

**Sigh**:nonono:

So I suppose your genetically superior, electronically inclined mind set never thought of using mans' first discovery to facilitate your struggle?

Scott,......meet fire,........fire, meet Scott.

A heat gun, or a propane torch will give the undercoating no where to hide. I used it under my car, heating the gook to a bubbly (sometimes burning) consistency, and literally scraped it off w/ a simple push. After I got the area roughly scraped off, I came back, heated up a section and hit it w/ the wire brush/wheel on my drill and it came out shiny bare metal like nobodies business.

The smoke will give you a headache, so be sure to get the Malaysian kid to fan the area to ventilate,...(or you can use an electric fan like I did,...( I didn't have the budget for the Malaysian kid))

** I realize that you can use the .50 a day MK for along time before you approach the break even cost of an electric fan,....but fortunately for me,...I already had one.**

In the future, if you need to get over any hump, be sure to ask me directly before hand so you wont have to post defeatist, surrender posts into an otherwise excellent build thread.:cool:

Remember,.....I have already posted tons of "throw in the towel" material in my own threads,....feel free to use it as a reference in the future so that you and your boy Dai-wee will be able to post pics of real progress instead of using the old "my camera's broke" excuse you used, because you don't want to show your dirty-assed floor. :jester:

Booyah! Nice. :banana:

And madmike1157, I did consider using the torch and scrape method, but I'm personally not sure how I feel about melting what could be PVC undercoating. Toxic fumes are not a part of my daily diet. I know that I will be forced to hit some areas with a flame because I won't be able to get in there with power tools, but I'm going to try to remove as much as I can mechanically. I'm definitely making it harder on myself, but oh well. That's how it goes sometimes! I was working on for a bit today. That oscillating scraper really does a nice job of scraping the coating away. Hitting what's left with a knotted wire wheel brings it right down to the metal.

The only thing that has me stunned is why Ford put an incredibly thick layer of what looks to be seam sealer all over the wheel wells. They must have done it to for road noise, but jeez, this stuff is caked on!

Booyah! Nice. :banana:

And madmike1157, I did consider using the torch and scrape method, but I'm personally not sure how I feel about melting what could be PVC undercoating. Toxic fumes are not a part of my daily diet. I know that I will be forced to hit some areas with a flame because I won't be able to get in there with power tools, but I'm going to try to remove as much as I can mechanically. I'm definitely making it harder on myself, but oh well. That's how it goes sometimes! I was working on for a bit today. That oscillating scraper really does a nice job of scraping the coating away. Hitting what's left with a knotted wire wheel brings it right down to the metal.

The only thing that has me stunned is why Ford put an incredibly thick layer of what looks to be seam sealer all over the wheel wells. They must have done it to for road noise, but jeez, this stuff is caked on!
which brings me to ask, if you scrape the coated wheel wells clean of their sound deadening, what are you gonna do to counter the noise that will come as a result of it being gone?

I knew I could count on you to ask that question. RAAMaudio has stuff called ensolite that would be installed in addition to the typical aluminum-faced sound deadender. I'm still exploring options. There are other companies out there that make similar products.

I'm still going back and forth if I want to topcoat the whole underside of the car in something similar to lizard skin (sorta like bedliner) after I paint it with the chassis paint. Not sure about that yet though.

With the car on it's side, once finished with all modifications, welding, etc... bedliner FTW. The added bonus that if you are ever the victim of an attempted car bombing, this stuff might save your life.

After looking at a bunch of threads in many different forums. I think I'm going to topcoat the chassis paint with U-Pol Raptor liner. Comes in a nice little kit with an air gun that screws onto the cans of liner. Should be a relatively easy application. I like the idea of the bedliner hiding imperfections on the underside of the car as well as its sound insulating benefits. The Jeep guys seem to love this stuff. Also found a guy that used it on his Camaro. Can even be reduced down so it lays on thinner for a nicer look.

DSC00611.jpg

Reactions: 1 user