Want to paint my 66 FB

hipo_p51

Jun 13, 2008
Hi, to all that have done this process recently. I'd like to have my car painted. Everything, top-bottom-interior-engine compartment, everything. Very light body work and panel fitment. Nothing special, just a period correct color that will last forever. What did you spend. I will reassemble everything minus doors-trunk-hood-glass/trim.
Bill

• Sponsors (?)

Howdy Hipo! You can totally do the paint job yourself. My wife and I painted my 73 in the garage. I had not really painting experience. I took my stang down to bare metal, primed it, added filler where needed, repaired rust holes, filled, sanded, sanded, sanded, sprayed the base, sprayed the clear, wet sanded it and done. It's been so long since I'd done it now I forget how many hours over all I spent on it but it was something like 200hrs. I think for materials and tools to paint it I spent about $2000. It was a fabulous experience and pretty good result. Not perfect but still.

Thanks for the reply. Not a real option for me. No spare time like that, and the wife unit hates the car. Besides I want it perfect, and I know I cant even pretend to be able to do a job like this.

want to do it yourself or looking for experts? I will suggest you get free estimates online by contacting auto body shops near you. You will be able to know how much will it cost. If doing it yourself, you should know how hard it can be. There are many reasons to hire professionals to get your car painted. Read all the reasons before getting your car painted, after all, it's your hard earned money.

Get estimates from shops you think you might use like stated above. It all depends on what you want to do. How much body work possibly needs to be done to get it nice and straight. And what kind of primer paint is going to be used. Depending on your goals it might not be that much or you could spend a fortune. Hard to estimate.