Want to tone down pony on front grill

Randy 25

Jun 29, 2008
Like title says, want to maybe black chrome (or whatever) the pony on front. Don't like the chrome there. Has anybody done that? Anyone know how it comes off or what it's made of? Tx.

• Sponsors (?)

It's made out of plastic and is held on by little clips. The grille needs to be taken off the car before trying to remove it. I'd recommend picking up some VHT Night Shades (Spray Tint) and hitting it with a light coat.

I've been looking into doing the same thing. I want to do all of the chrome badges (pony, GT, and faux gas cap) in black chrome or black nickel. So far I've only found one place that will do it. (I'll have to find the link to it). They recommend black nickel, because the black chrome finish wears easily. It was going to take several weeks to get it done, so I'm going to buy new replacement pieces to send in for finishing so that I don't have holes in my car. I'm sure that it won't be cheap either, but it will be worth it to me. It's something different, and the chrome bugs me too.

I've been looking into doing the same thing. I want to do all of the chrome badges (pony, GT, and faux gas cap) in black chrome or black nickel. So far I've only found one place that will do it. (I'll have to find the link to it). They recommend black nickel, because the black chrome finish wears easily. It was going to take several weeks to get it done, so I'm going to buy new replacement pieces to send in for finishing so that I don't have holes in my car. I'm sure that it won't be cheap either, but it will be worth it to me. It's something different, and the chrome bugs me too.
As we now know it's plastic and not some type of metal, can you still do that? Maybe I'll just sand and paint it flat black. I don't want an obvious hole by just removing it.