WANTED: Pics of interiors with Stock Fox radios.

Mustang5L5

That is…until I whipped out my Bissell
Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
Massachusetts
Call me sick, but i want to put a stock radio back in my car. :shrug:

I have a head unit in there from 1998 and 4 speakers. I dont even listen to it at all. When i drive my 5.0, i have the radio off and listen to the exhaust.

I can't decide to do with my radio area. The mounting kit needs to be changed. I have two gauges...water temp and oil pressure. Part of me wants to order a kit to mount two gauges there with a fan switch and an aftermarket head unit (i'll get a newer one that i can hook Ipod to)

But part of me wants to put a stock radio back in, but with modern speakers (does anyone still even have the Ford cardboard speakers?? )

So, lets see some pics. Also, does anyone know the wiring year breakdowns? In other words, can i put a later 1993 CD player equipped headunit into a 1988? My car originally did not have premium sound. It just had the tape deck and 4 speakers...2 in the dash. I'd like to put a later model cd player unit in the car :shrug:

If i do that, i'll put the gauges back in the pillar where they were

60584d1258757882-looking-black-foxbody-center-console-console.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Call me sick, but i want to put a stock radio back in my car. :shrug:

+1! i think i might have a lead on a tape deck from a 92 cougar thats the same as a fox mustang. Ill buy one of those adapters that have a tape on one end and a headphone jack on the other and a cheepo mp3 player for when i want tunes, otherwise i like the sound of my car.

be aware that the stock radio setup wont cover the holes you made when you put in the mounting plate for the aftermarket radio.

im using the three-gauge plate in mine, it works pretty well:
Picture036-1.jpg

i thought i had a pic of the stock getup that the p.o. took when i was buying the car, but i dont have as clear a shot as i thought. still got the stock radio and amp though, sitting around in my parents basement.

I have the stock radio out of my car. It's the one that came with the equalizer under it. It should be big enough to fill the whole opening. I'm not sure if it works or not, because it was in the trunk when I bought the car. If you're interested I can take pictures.

be aware that the stock radio setup wont cover the holes you made when you put in the mounting plate for the aftermarket radio.

Yeah. I just realized that. I can try filling the holes and touching it up with paint? :shrug:

Maybe i'll just go with my original plan and do the gauges there and get a new modern head unit.

Do the stock radio and fill in the holes. When I see a nice fox with a stock radio I think a well kept car. I am in the process of doing the same thing to my 02. Everyone is damn proud of their 6 disc.

I loved my Mach 460 6-disk in my old '03 GT.

If i could get my hands on one, i'd retrofit it into the Fox. Best damn stock radio i ever heard...better than the BLOSE in my G35. :(

I bought another 460 amp set up two weeks ago to put back in my car. I want my 02 to be clean kinda like yours when its older. Have a few parts and such on it but look 100% stock is what I want.

Prob with the 6-disk is i think it's too integrated with the entire mach 460 system. So i'd need to add the 3 trunk mounted amps as well.

Other ford vehicles have the same 6-disk head unit, but it's not a system like the Mustangs 460. It doesn't sound half as good though.

But then there are the issue with them crapping the bed. Usually you find rhem on ebay for $100+ because demand is high.

Can we even get a double din unit in that spot? Does the trans tunel get in the way? How can we mount up a DD unit?

a DD will fit. If you want I can snap a few pics with the Mach 460 in a fox, with the fox dash. Doing one in the 90 in my sig (i have a complete mach setup in the 93 sans front speakers.). You will only need two amps. one for the front and one for the rear. the head unit controls the tweeters only and then sends signal level output to the amps for the mid/low frequencys. My notch sounds awesome and will rattle the windows in my shop...

Hmm, maybe i'll have to look into that. Curious to how the 460 would look though in a fox console. I'm familiar with it in my '03 GT. It mounts with two screws on the bottom of the head unit. Unfortunately the fox doesn't have this mount, so wonder how i'd secure it in place?

The wheels are turning in my head. Maybe i'll do with a different "stock" radio

a friend put a shaker 1000 radio in his 93 convertible and it fits great .you can find shaker500 radios all day long and the only difference between the two is the 1000 powers the big kicker box in the back.the 500 will have to configured at the dealership to recognize the kicker box.

I guess i could go shaker as well.

I could do a lot of things really...even install a Ford touchscreen NAVI unit. :)

24557-ford-focus-car-dvd-player-gps-navi-bluetooth-touchscreen-ipod-stereo-audio-video-1.jpg

NAV appeals to me because I might take the car out for shows that I have no idea how to get to. Plus it looks cool when the car starts up and the FORD logo displays on the screen.

Downside....cost

I think the nav unit would be the perfect upgrade, maintaining OEM Ford look and quality while adding modern convenience. :D

PS- I noticed in the pic you posted that you have a square/holes cut in your A pillar from the gauge pod. I don't know how recent that pic is, but I have a clean OEM black A pillar you can have if you need it. Just throwing it out there!