Water pooling under seats

lkraus

Jul 5, 2020
Melbourne FL
I just replaced my 1998 mustangs convertible top a week or so ago. My car smelled as if the rain had gotten in after a big storm so I took out my rear seats and water has pooled underneath them. It looks like instead of dripping into the drainage spot it drips and runs down the side of the frame and goes under the rear seat ( not on the floor behind the front seats, but actually under the back seats). Would I just need to replace the rear quarter panel strips so that it drips in the right spot or is it something else completely?

• Sponsors (?)

I just replaced my 1998 mustangs convertible top a week or so ago. My car smelled as if the rain had gotten in after a big storm so I took out my rear seats and water has pooled underneath them. It looks like instead of dripping into the drainage spot it drips and runs down the side of the frame and goes under the rear seat ( not on the floor behind the front seats, but actually under the back seats). Would I just need to replace the rear quarter panel strips so that it drips in the right spot or is it something else completely?
Hi, did you find out what the issue was? If so, how did you fix it? I've got exactly the same issue.
I'm in the UK soy regular garage is not much use with a 2003 Mustang!
Thanks
Steve

There is a skirt at the bottom of your convertible top. It is down inside the panels where the bottom of the soft-top disappears.

That skirt needs to be routed inside of the rain channel and drain holes in that rain channel need to be clear.

You have 3 things to look for:

The rain channel
The skirt
The drain holes

If you have a model that has drain [tubes], inspects them for cracks and ensure they are clear.

Reactions: 1 user
There is a skirt at the bottom of your convertible top. It is down inside the panels where the bottom of the soft-top disappears.

That skirt needs to be routed inside of the rain channel and drain holes in that rain channel need to be clear.

You have 3 things to look for:

The rain channel
The skirt
The drain holes

If you have a model that has drain [tubes], inspect them for cracks and ensure they are clear.
Many thanks for this.

Beleive it or not, the top is designed to channel the water off the back of the top around and drop the water into a “pocket” under the rear quarter windows. At the bottom of the pocket, there is a drain hole.

IMG_7704.jpeg
IMG_7706.jpeg

Over the years, these holes plug with leaves and dirt and other crud and block the drainage path. The pocket fills up with water, and spills into the interior. Usually the rear seat and rear floor area get soaked first, but it can also travel up the side rails and leak into the front floorboard area.

Clear the drain holes with a coat hanger/ compressed air. If bad enough, you may need to open up the paneling to the pocket and vacuum it out. All depends on if the car was parked under a tree and lots of leaves and crud fell down in there.