Fox Water Pump / Power Steering

T-rent21

Aug 19, 2017
Hey everyone, new to the site. I'm having a problem with a proform electric water pump I bought. I took everything off (idle pully, power steering pump, and alternator) went to put the new electric water pump; the power steering/ alternator didn't fit back in its original position.

Has anyone else had this problem?

The reason behind the new pump is to replace the cheap mechanical one that wasn't enough for the 331 stroker in it

• Sponsors (?)

what's wrong with buying a good replacement mechanical pump like edelbrock, tough stuff, or stewart warner.
I am not a fan of electric water pumps on the street. Just another electrical fuse or part to go wrong.
Without any pics or knowing what part # you bought I have no clue
Most electric water pumps are motor specific and often need a pulley for the belt and also sometimes special backing plates to work with accessories

Reactions: 1 user
what's wrong with buying a good replacement mechanical pump like edelbrock, tough stuff, or stewart warner.
I am not a fan of electric water pumps on the street. Just another electrical fuse or part to go wrong.
Without any pics or knowing what part # you bought I have no clue
Most electric water pumps are motor specific and often need a pulley for the belt and also sometimes special backing plates to work with accessories
@mikestang63
I am not yet a fan of electric water pumps or power steering systems. Why? Needless new monitoring of operating conditions.What do I mean? The old water pump worked in conjunction with the thermostat, and the eng. speed. Eng. was asked for more speed, it generated more heat, the pump turned faster, the thermostat opened up, and additional heat generated was dumped. How do they do it electrically? I honestly don't know, but can surmise how I would do it, if I had to.

Case in point here is my nephew's Chevy P.U. No other details known, except GM has had boo-coo owners show up having experienced hair-raising steering experiences, GM of course "fixing" under warranty. Fearing huge litigation, they have issued a big "recall notice", to fix potential future problems. The "fix"? Re-program the electronic power steering module! This is MADNESS! IMO. imp

There's truth in what @mikestang63 says. There are several good mechanical pumps out there.

That being said, I think an electric wp could being interesting. Seems like our racer members here have them for their cooling ability after the engine is shut off.

Regardless though, you've got one.

But we do need pictures of how you have it now.

Did the pump not come with instructions for the set up? Surely they show how to run the belt for the accessories.

I'm thinking this is a case of race car parts on a street car. T-rent has a problem with high engine temps on a 331, he can generate a few more hp with the electric wp and possibly fix his high temp problem.
Some of us here know how thats gonna work out.
Every engine I've seen with an electric wp does not have power steering or an alternator, they were race cars. I'm sure someone has done it, and I'm curious to see the result, but unless he resolves the high temp issue I fear he may be doomed.
But I could be wrong, it happend at least once last week.