Water Temp Sending Unit Thread Size?

1989LXFOX

Jan 19, 2018
Hello all,

I will be installing a glowshift water temp gauge on my 1989 LX 5.0. I want to directly replace the stock sender with the unit supplied by Glowshift. My question is.. What size is thread is on the stock port? The glowshift sender has a 1/8" - 27 NPT. I am not sure what size the stock is and if I have to buy a thread adapter.
Also, being a total noob, I ran the tach wire through the rubber steering boot, can I do the same with the wires for the oil pressure, water temp and vacuum wires? I am not sure where I should drill through firewall and kind of afraid to also!

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

3/8" npt

There's a plug in the lower intake manifold at the drivers side rear. This can be removed and the temp sensor wiring extended to reach. That's if you don't want a dead stock guage in the cluster. It will read cooler here however

Reactions: 1 users
3/8" npt

There's a plug in the lower intake manifold at the drivers side rear. This can be removed and the temp sensor wiring extended to reach. That's if you don't want a dead stock guage in the cluster. It will read cooler here however
Than
3/8" npt

Thanks for the reply! So the stock npt size is 3/8? I don’t care about the stock gauge going dead but thanks for the tip man!

Both these locations and two on the rear are 3/8 npt

IMG_5681.JPG

IMG_5682.JPG

Reactions: 1 user
dont use the rear passenger ports as they will throw off the reading. Either use the stock location by the distributor or use a thermostat housing with a threaded opening for the sensor.

Hello all,

I will be installing a glowshift water temp gauge on my 1989 LX 5.0. I want to directly replace the stock sender with the unit supplied by Glowshift. My question is.. What size is thread is on the stock port? The glowshift sender has a 1/8" - 27 NPT. I am not sure what size the stock is and if I have to buy a thread adapter.
Also, being a total noob, I ran the tach wire through the rubber steering boot, can I do the same with the wires for the oil pressure, water temp and vacuum wires? I am not sure where I should drill through firewall and kind of afraid to also!

Thanks!
Just don’t overtighen the sender, you’ll crack the lower intake!