Weight Reduction VS Hooking?

Unless you're running some kinda turbo-4 out of an SVO or TurboCoupe, I call :bs: on this one.That, or you simply don't have a clue how to launch from a stop. Not trying to be offensive, here, but there is NO WAY you can just "power" through more than one gear in an 88-horse 2.3L four-banger with huge tires...

...UNLESS...

1. You rev the holy hell out of the thing;
2. You are seriously over-inflating your tires so that they're rock-hard;
3. Always driving somewhere that you've got some horrendously terrible traction conditions (gravel, wet streets, sand, whatever);
4. A combination of the above items;
5. You're actually still running the stock skinny 14" rims when you are experiencing your traction problems. (My buddy once left a single black skidmark halfway down the block in front of his house, once, with a '93 four-banger LX. Not amazing, considering the tire/wheel size and how much he was revving it, but it was amusing in a juvenile sort of way, nevertheless.)
6. You have two bottles of NOS. The big ones. :D

That being said, try the following:

1. Launch BELOW 2,000 RPM ... more like 1,000 or 1,500 RPM, tops. You're not running drag radials, and unless you are (and have properly heated them up prior to launch ... which, btw, does NOT work the same for street tires), there is no reason to launch at anything higher than that. Keep lowering your launch RPM until you find one that allows you to grip without bogging the motor down;
2. Check your tire pressure - too little or too much will result in lost traction due to a smaller contact patch;
3. Learn FEATHER the clutch a bit. Give it some time to get the car moving before it grabs completely - don't just rev it and dump it;
4. Invest in a limited-slip rear differential, because peg-legged burnouts are not cool, nor do they usually make for good launches;
5. Invest in a set of upper and lower control arms ... although I HIGHLY doubt you'll seriously NEED them on a non-turbo four-banger;
6. Stop spraying so much nitrous. :D

• Sponsors (?)