Weird AOD starting problem

6SpeedLX

Apr 5, 2005
Mass
hey guys, i know i dont post on here much but im not new to the mustang community..Anyways, I just bought an 89 GT AOD for $500 off an older lady that has owned it since it had 4k miles...it now has 79k (not 179k). The story goes, she told me that her and someone went for test ride and the car drove normal. They came back and all of a sudden its all messed up. Now, it will start in Park, but only for a second and then shuts off and sounds like someone just let the clutch out in 1st without gas. In Neutral it will start fine and idle and rev like normal, only when you put it in to park, it immediately stalls. I put it in drive and it moves, although i only moved it 10 feet. i did notice the TV cable bushing was broken off, so I replaced that and still no change. i have read everywhere that if that bushing breaks and you drive only a few miles youll have a burnt up AOD. She seemed truthful and told me it never felt like it was slipping or anything out of the ordinary. Any suggestions guys? ive tried searchin for 2 days now and no definate answers. If the AOD is toast, T5 swap it is!! BTW guys, this thing is 100% stock with an interior i would eat off of. The lady even had the owners manual.

• Sponsors (?)

thanks for the info on the TV cable adjustment. Yes, the fluid is right on par, that was the first thing i checked. I know my way around a car, just not to good with auto trannys. After the TV cable adjustment, I finally got to drive it and it will die if you dont give it a little throttle in D. Then it feels like its stuck in 2nd gear, never shifts. When you come to a stop it feels like it wants to keep going unless you throw it in neutral. If you bring it all the way down to 1 it makes all kinds of noises and sounds like its gonna grenade. Im guessing thing this thing is toast

its fixxed

did u change the fluid an filter? if it sat for a while it may have sticking servos. if you let it run some an get the fluid flowing through it, it might improve.

Today I had to back it up a little hill in my driveway. So I tried a few times putting it in Reverse and it stalled each time. So I revved it to 5k in neutral and slammed it into reverse. The tires spun and the car moved about 20 ft, put it in park thinking it was gonna stall as it did all the times before, and it idled nicely. Drove it down the road and it shifted fine. you were 100% correct man, im so happy right now, i can just drive this thing. I got spintechs and a dry NOS kit im gonna put on tommorrow