Weird Coolant Leak

93Mustang70302

Oct 29, 2017
Hello I have a 1993 foxbody That had a 2.3 in it i have ripped it out and have swapped in a 1970 302 i have every thing hooked up and it runs very good my question is i can fill the radiator up full run it for about 15 mins and it starts to overheat i found out the thermo was sticking shut i fixed that now there is a problem with the coolant level after running it i can go out the next morrning and almost all the coolant is gone from the rad i fill it back up and run the car to temp and all is good when i shut the car off i can watch the coolant level just fall like the drain plug is left wide open there are no leaks anywhere i have climbed on top of the motor and crawled under the car i cant find a leak anywhere im just at a loss i have tried all i can think of also when the thermo was out the car was running i could watch coolant flowing through the radiator put the cap back on the car starts to overheat after about 10 mins in 50 deg weather there is no smoke out the exhaust no leaks anywhere idk if the rad cant cool the coolant enough or what any help will help

• Sponsors (?)

Ok i am using the water pump for the 70 302 with the right rotation i have water going thought the engine and returning to the radiator im not getting any weird smells or anything and like i said ive been over every inch of the motor with no signs of leaks anywhere

i filled the system up without motor running started the motor and filled it up as the coolant started through the motor so all and all i say right at 3 gallons maybe just a bit more and the rad is the stock rad from the 93 mustang and heater core is not hooked up right now

only concern i have is the next day i can go out to the car and coolant is very low i go to fill it up it gets to the top of the rad and i can just watch the level fall i keep putting water in and it just continues to fall like its running out just as fast as i can put it in

There are only 3 places for coolant to go....in the cylinders ( head gasket = smoke ), in the engine ( intake gaskets or throttle body egr spacer = high oil level, milky oil ), or on the ground.

There's really nowhere else it can go since the heater core is bypassed.

When I add coolant to my cars I always raise the front end on ramps or pointed up a hill. Using the 70s engine I assume you're carbureted so none of the efi cooling lines to the throttle body.

Are you running an overflow tank ? That would still cause a leak from the radiator filler neck hose.

If nothing in the oil, nothing on the ground, and nothing out of the tail pipes then you're good to go.

Reactions: 1 user
i am using the overflow tank but its a the right level its just has me stumped on where it could be going seeing how the oil isnt milky or at a high lever and i have no smoke out of the tail pipes or condensation in them either

I did not see if you stated what transmission you have. If you have an automatic, and you have a trans cooler in the radiator, make sure to check your trans fluid for coolant. Usually you would have trans fluid in the coolant if the cooler is leaking inside the radiator but its worth checking the trans.

The radiator and cap pressure tester I bought off of Amazon could help you. It was not that much, and Advance Auto checks them out. The first time I played with it, I pressure tested a car I thought was fine. It quickly showed me a heater hose that needed replaced. After that, it held the pressure over night.
Good parts stores also sell UV dies you can put in coolant or oils and help chase down where fluids are leaking from.