Weird Rear End Noise?

Hey guys,

I have had this noise coming from my rear end since I bought my car back in december, its kind of a "romping/rumbling" sound.

I had a shop rebuild the rear end with a new posi and all new bearings as well as the wheel bearings.. They said everything besides the gears were shot. This helped substantially, but the noise seems to come back when the weight of the car shifts, particularly when it shifts to the left (turning right) at normal speeds (40+). Then, when the weight shifts back straight or over the the right, it's quiet as a mouse. Any ideas?

P.S. I was thinking at first that it could be the gears, as they may have worn weird after everything else was worn out, but I would think, if this were the case, the noise would be constant, not just under shifting weight. Maybe they used a bad drivers side wheel bearing??

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

Hey guys,

I have had this noise coming from my rear end since I bought my car back in december, its kind of a "romping/rumbling" sound.

I had a shop rebuild the rear end with a new posi and all new bearings as well as the wheel bearings.. They said everything besides the gears were shot. This helped substantially, but the noise seems to come back when the weight of the car shifts, particularly when it shifts to the left (turning right) at normal speeds (40+). Then, when the weight shifts back straight or over the the right, it's quiet as a mouse. Any ideas?

P.S. I was thinking at first that it could be the gears, as they may have worn weird after everything else was worn out, but I would think, if this were the case, the noise would be constant, not just under shifting weight. Maybe they used a bad drivers side wheel bearing??

You might wanna try putting sawdust in there, there was a guy on here awhile back that had a fair amount of success with it.:rolleyes:

Your description sounds like a failing bearing on the axle. Although it shouldn't be bad already if they were just replaced, it could just be a bad part. It is also possible that the shop didn't pack the wheel bearing very well when it was installed, which could lead to a premature failure. I would imagine you have some warranty on the rear end, so I would probably just take it back to the shop and have them check it out.

Reactions: 1 user
Your description sounds like a failing bearing on the axle. Although it shouldn't be bad already if they were just replaced, it could just be a bad part. It is also possible that the shop didn't pack the wheel bearing very well when it was installed, which could lead to a premature failure. I would imagine you have some warranty on the rear end, so I would probably just take it back to the shop and have them check it out.

Thanks, I'll definitely be taking it back. Kind of irritating if thats the case.. Not like it was a cheap job

Sounds like axle bearings to me too. The bearings can also wear a groove in the axle when they go bad too and that isn't easily reversible.

90white
No shop (or at least no sensible shop) provides a warranty when they install parts they didn't provide.
Why would they? Twilight is right, they have no control over what you brought them. Say the bearings did go bad, now they are doing the labor twice on parts they made no money on.
At least if they provide the parts, they got a few bucks so it takes a little bit of the sting out of it.

Mike, that's an old school trick which I'm sure you knew about. They also used to put banana peels and STP in the rear end to quiet them down, brake fluid in the auto trans to swell the seals, and either pepper or eggwhites in the radiator to stop leaks. Ask me how I know about this- I used to turn wrenches at Ford dealer 30+ years ago and saw it all. Guys stuffing newspapers in body holes and putting fiberglass mesh and bondo over it then painting too.

Mike, that's an old school trick which I'm sure you knew about. They also used to put banana peels and STP in the rear end to quiet them down, brake fluid in the auto trans to swell the seals, and either pepper or eggwhites in the radiator to stop leaks. Ask me how I know about this- I used to turn wrenches at Ford dealer 30+ years ago and saw it all. Guys stuffing newspapers in body holes and putting fiberglass mesh and bondo over it then painting too.
read the link mike

Sounds like axle bearings to me too. The bearings can also wear a groove in the axle when they go bad too and that isn't easily reversible.

90white
No shop (or at least no sensible shop) provides a warranty when they install parts they didn't provide.
Why would they? Twilight is right, they have no control over what you brought them. Say the bearings did go bad, now they are doing the labor twice on parts they made no money on.
At least if they provide the parts, they got a few bucks so it takes a little bit of the sting out of it.
I know it. I was just letting the op know in a delicate manner that he's probably screwed and is going to have to pay twice, he's thinking free.

read the link mike
Where do I go to get that 5 minutes of my life back. The used car departments used to put ATF then laquer thinner in motors to "quiet them up" just enough to get them off the lot. That's why I quit. Couldn't deal with all the crooks and the comebacks. Those people were someone's wife or mother driving these deathtraps that dealers cobbled together.

;)
Where do I go to get that 5 minutes of my life back. The used car departments used to put ATF then laquer thinner in motors to "quiet them up" just enough to get them off the lot. That's why I quit. Couldn't deal with all the crooks and the comebacks. Those people were someone's wife or mother driving these deathtraps that dealers cobbled together.
Jeez!!! Tough crowd. You wasted 5 minutes of your life, and didn't even find the exploding cryo- frozen diff even mildly amusing huh?

I hate to be the comic looking out to see you in the front row ;)

You pack rear wheel bearings? Curious if this common practice.

I know it. I was just letting the op know in a delicate manner that he's probably screwed and is going to have to pay twice, he's thinking free.

The shop provided all of the parts, so they should be under warranty.

Is it possible you had worn grooves in the axles shafts that went unaddressed and now the new bearings are shot?

It's possible, I didn't take the rear end apart because I did not have a press to put it back together, nor a trailer to take the car to/fro the shop so they did all the work. If the axles were grooved, they certainly didn't notify me.