Welcome all of you 5.0 Owners

kiddiccarus

The first widely accepted Tranny
Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Dec 24, 2003
30 Mins from a Ragged GT
As Gas prices are soaring I am seeing the trend of more 5.0 owners heading to the "dark side" of the Stang world. Welcome and we will not pick much on you for asking about our 2.3L N/A and 2.3T's that are doing pretty well on gas mileage.

Stretch out and act as if you belong here and Welcome.

• Sponsors (?)

kiddiccarus said:
As Gas prices are soaring I am seeing the trend of more 5.0 owners heading to the "dark side" of the Stang world. Welcome and we will not pick much on you for asking about our 2.3L N/A and 2.3T's that are doing pretty well on gas mileage.

Amen. I was thinking about this on the way home... :D

Last time I had a 2.3 it didnt get much better gas milage than my 5.0. I used to get about 350 or 360 miles to a tank in the 2.3 and now I get about 320. All highway driving. A 5spd 2.3 is what you need to hit that magic 30mpg mark.

How many miles do you get to a tank on the highway? 20 isnt that great around town, I get that in my 5.0. Usually 260 miles to a tank and I usually put 12 or 13 gallons in. But I also dont floor it at every red light. That can also make a huge diff. The first tank of gas in my 5.0 I got 10 mpg :rlaugh: I dont think I ever had my foot out of it.
Of course mine is mostly stock and slow, now if you go modifying a 5.0 yeah the gas milage is gonna suck. But I think I would buy a stock 5.0 for a beater vs. a N/A 2.3.

Some of the old timers around here will remember me. I'm about to start driving my 4 banger again pretty soon (as soon as the L runs out of gas this tank). Been lookin around trying to find a turboford to make it a little more fun. the hp and tq from the v8 camp makes it a pita to go back to a n/a 2.3L

its not that bad, i get 15 in my GT and its not like OMG OMG, bout average for the size of motor, condition
I used to surf the 2.3 baords alot, i had an 88 LX ( hence my name) and it was screwed up and got like 12 mpg :(

kiddiccarus said:

:rlaugh: :lol:

Thanks for the welcome.

I have two 5.0's and got the 2.3 89 Notch back in March before all this gas mess.

Then I got a spare 85 2.3, and then found a junkyard T5 set up. I just missed a 91 2.3 vert for $200 last Friday, but I am still looking.

I may just do a 5.0 to 2.3 stick swap one of these days.

Kinda looking for a cheap turbo setup also.

The 89 is currently getting 21 to 25 mpg, so it has earned its place.

The carbed 79 Five-O Capri gets 15 to 21 on a daily basis.

Yeah, I got my 2.3 a month or two ago. Its my 3rd one. This time I finally got one with a 5-speed. So far she's doing pretty well. Last week I drove 220 miles round trip to Tampa from Orlando, and then beat it around town another 90 miles. Overall, I got 29 mpg! :D

I get good with my daily driver na 2.3. 370-380 miles to a tank, just driving around town and in the country a bit during the corse of my week. I dont abuse it but im not realy easy on it ither. With my old 5.0 I had for a bit I was super easy on her and got around 250-260 miles a tank. The 2.3 is na but i put in a cam with like a .455 lift and a ranger header ported the head, put in an msd ignition wich suprisingly helped from 3000 on and shaved the head. So its not compleately gutless (although it is on the border:), and puts alot of the wana be ricers to shame wich is great cuz it looks like a 100$ dollar stang :lol: So anyways im glad to have given up the 5slow for somthing quite a bit better on gas and more fun to drive in my book:)