Welding differential on 5.0. 8.8 rear end

Foxslider

im not that much of a idiot
Oct 25, 2019
Houston, TX
I see there is a Z type thing inbetween the spyder gears in the diff. that i need to weld together. It looks to be kind of in the way, 1. For getting different angles with the welder, 2. i want to put a plate to weld in where that Z thing is.

Im just going by pics, but does that thing come out easily? so i can stick a plate in its space and weld the plate to the spyder gears. Not 100% necessary, it looks like the spyder gears are reachable with the Z thing in there and i could just get outside of spider gears welded to the outer square part on the diff also.

Preciate any input.

• Sponsors (?)

That Z thing is not fun to get out. If you weld a plate in there like they did on Donut Media, make sure there is room for the C-clips to come out. I have never welded a differential. The mention of it probably won't go over well in this group.

Kurt

Here are a couple threads on the subject, maybe gluing the spiders together work for drift cars but it seems only a short trip to trouble.

Ya i know this. Bout the less than ideal group to ask for mustandlg drift support. Lol. Thats why i just asking removing the Z part. Ill check out removing c clips now.

Word kartheif. Ill check em out as well. One thing the mustang has is wheelhop, and that might break em. Otherwise should be solid, till it aint. We'll see.

Ya, the plate would block getting c clip out. Ideally that whole open square in middle is a plate welded to all 4 spyder gears. Maybe 350z's, 240sx's etc. dont have c clip axles. I'll just do what i can on the spyders and tell him to weld outside of the gears to the diff.

Glad i asked before getting the plate welded in.

Welding the spiders is just a crappy way to lock the diff.
If you’re going to do it, do it right and get a spool. They’re like $90

Probably come out ahead when you factor in all the brake clean it takes to get that diff perfectly clean to weld on.

Kurt

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Ya, the plate would block getting c clip out. Ideally that whole open square in middle is a plate welded to all 4 spyder gears. Maybe 350z's, 240sx's etc. dont have c clip axles. I'll just do what i can on the spyders and tell him to weld outside of the gears to the diff.

Glad i asked before getting the plate welded in.

All those cars are independent suspension, so they don't have C-clips.

Kurt

^ Yep, irs. Makes sense. Spool i saw was 190, + c clip eliminators.
So both axles go direct into spool? 100% locked in that case. Ill research it up.

Pretty sure there are spools that can be run with the C-clips. C-clip eliminators are better, but not easy to install. The C-clip system on the Ford 8.8" axle is not a common setup in the general car population.

Kurt

I think ima just get er welded up. Eazy peezy. Aint gotta do nothin and it should be solid for long time to come...

5 days later: 1st drift- Waaaaaa. :Little bit of wheel hop: terrible cracking and grinding noises from rear end. Lol.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm with the group that says to install a spool if that's what you're after. Especially given that what you said in your last post could be a possibility depending on how good of a welder you have do the work. It may be cheaper to have someone weld the spider gears in the short term, but spending the extra amount now for piece of mind and trouble free operation might be a better option.

As for your question:

Is a spool just both axles going into it?

Yes, that's exactly what it is. And here is a full spool:

From what I understand a mini spool won't fit a trac-lok differential. It'll most likely be a little more in depth to install vs welding the spider gears. I mean either path will get you to your destination, but for my money I'd go with the spool just for the simple fact of how the saying goes: you can pay a little now or a lot later. I'd try to ensure that I won't pay a lot later - I'm cheap like that!! :D In any event, good luck with whichever path you decide!

Reactions: 1 users
I'm with the group that says to install a spool if that's what you're after. Especially given that what you said in your last post could be a possibility depending on how good of a welder you have do the work. It may be cheaper to have someone weld the spider gears in the short term, but spending the extra amount now for piece of mind and trouble free operation might be a better option.

As for your question:

Yes, that's exactly what it is. And here is a full spool:

From what I understand a mini spool won't fit a trac-lok differential. It'll most likely be a little more in depth to install vs welding the spider gears. I mean either path will get you to your destination, but for my money I'd go with the spool just for the simple fact of how the saying goes: you can pay a little now or a lot later. I'd try to ensure that I won't pay a lot later - I'm cheap like that!! :D In any event, good luck with whichever path you decide!

The tough part with that one is no provisions for C-clips. That means putting C-clip eliminators on it, or 9" style ends on the axle.

Kurt

Reactions: 1 user
I welded one once for a guy. It takes a good knowledge of welding and a good welder to do it properly.

I've seen some of the backyard hacks weld them up too for circle track stuff. They might last a night or might last a season. But when they break, they break in dramatic fashion. I'm not saying don't do it but you need to know your ability and you also need to know the dangers of what happens when it does break.

I've also seen them break on the drag strip.....and that ain't pretty. The one that sticks out in my mind was running against a decently-nice 68 Chevelle, broke the carrier (heat affects the metallurgy of the carrier assembly), car veered into the other lane and took out the chevelle, put both of them into the wall.